Providing comprehensive coverage for an impressive client base across many sectors, our large transatlantic team offers clear, practical advice on all areas of employment and pension and employee benefit plan law.
We work hard to understand your objectives and the culture of your organization and are trusted by some of the best-known brands across our core sectors. This understanding means our solutions and advice are directly related to the environment in which you operate.
We understand that people are your most important asset and that careful management of employment law matters can mean the difference between achieving your organizational objectives and opening yourselves up to financial and reputational risk. We advise clients across the full spectrum of general employment advice including:
- Discrimination and equal pay
- Executive recruitment and termination
- Restrictive covenants and trade secret protection
- Employment disputes and litigation
- Contracts, policies and procedures.
Our experience enables us to spot critical issues quickly and present solutions that help you achieve your business objectives.
Pension and retirement plans
We provide the full range of pension and retirement plan law advice to employers, UK pension-scheme trustees, fiduciaries and retirement-plan administrators, from day-to-day benefit queries and complaints through to large-scale restructuring and liability management projects.
This team can draw on other areas of the firm such as litigation, investment and tax lawyers to provide a comprehensive service.
Our employee benefits lawyers take an innovative and ambitious approach to delivering practical employee benefit plans and solutions.
Our business litigators handle benefits-related controversies ranging from benefit disputes to governmental investigations and complex class action litigation involving employers, plan sponsors, administrators and fiduciaries.
Geopolitics, law, policy and national security concerns complicate the process of immigration, yet to compete in the global marketplace you need to be able to move employees across borders easily. We can help with proven strategies for securing and retaining key foreign talent.
We manage inbound immigration services for domestic and international employers and investors, ranging from large publicly-traded companies to small start-ups.
Our services include advising on:
- Contracts, policies and procedures
- Corporate immigration
- Discrimination and equal pay
- Employee benefits
- Employee defection and recruitment
- Employee equity plans and incentives
- Employment disputes
- Executive recruitment and termination
- Labour relations
- Pensions and ERISA litigation
- Restructuring and redundancy
- TUPE and outsourcing.
- We are acting for IBM in defending a multi-claimant employment tribunal claim (involving approximately 300 claimants) for constructive and unfair dismissal and age discrimination, arising out of changes made to their pensions scheme
- We advise Post Office on a wide range of employee relations issues. This has included advising on all aspects of the relationship with their recognised unions and also the recent period of strike action with the CWU and CMA. We also advised extensively on the major transformation project for Crown Post Offices
- We successfully defended five ex-employees of a business in an application to the High Court for a springboard injunction and an injunction to enforce restrictive covenants (the reported case of CEF Holdings Ltd and another v Mundey and others)
- We act for IBM in relation to day-to-day advice on its occupational pension plans as well as employer-led projects. These include ceasing defined benefit accrual, implementing non-pensionability agreements, and changing early retirement policy. We acted on the subsequent litigation in the High Court / Court of Appeal and Employment Tribunal on the leading case regarding the employer's duty of good faith in relation to pension plans (IBM United Kingdom Holdings Limited and another v Dalgleish and others)
- We advise Procter & Gamble in relation to its UK pension arrangements including, most recently, on the pension implications of the sale of its beauty brands to Coty Inc. in a c.$12.5 billion deal, which involved the transfer of hundreds of staff in the company's largest UK pension plan
- Successfully defended employers in a class action lawsuit by defeating a 10(j) preliminary injunction proceeding brought by the NLRB; defeated a lawsuit brought by the EEOC to enforce a corporate-wide administrative subpoena; and defeated the OFCCP in a class action lawsuit
- Obtained successful administrative law judge decisions for a client in high-stakes OSHA citations and successfully resolved numerous OSHA matters involving workplace fatalities and serious injuries
- Represented a software company in a tortious interference trade secret and business conspiracy action by preventing its former Chief Technology Officer and other former employees from pirating its core operating software and poaching its clients
- Defended businesses in FLSA collective actions and wage and hour matters in state and federal courts in multiple sectors, including health care, financial services, retail and manufacturing
- Defended employers from a variety of industries in claims alleging various types of discrimination and retaliation before federal and state agencies as well as lawsuits brought in federal and state courts
- Obtained a successful settlement with the IRS permitting a plan sponsor to retroactively amend its 401(k) plan to conform to plan operation, saving the plan sponsor several hundred thousand dollars
- Provided tax advice on executive compensation matters in significant transactions including: spinoff of an enterprise unit of a multinational hospitality company; merger of a manufacturer of high performance radio systems and a notable semiconductor manufacturer; merger of a publically traded bank holding company with a US-based financial institution; and acquisition of an affiliate marketing agency for global brands and retailers by a subsidiary of a global digital retailer
- Enabled publicly-traded retail company to eliminate employer stock from its 401(k) plan
- Filed employment-based immigrant and non-immigrant petitions including, but not limited to, preparation of treaty investor/trader visa applications, H-1B temporary worker petitions and L-1 intra-company transfer petitions, as well as applications for permanent employment certification for advanced degree professionals and skilled workers and priority worker petitions for individuals of extraordinary ability, outstanding professors and researchers, and multinational executives and managers.
"They know, and they care, about our business and our employees."
"They know how to go through the legalese in terms that I can understand."
"Attorneys are very responsive to our requests."
"The only firm I work with. The attorneys respond very quickly to my questions and provide good insight."
"Attorneys are professional and genuine."
Highly regarded practice for acting for national and international companies in the full spectrum of employment matters. Clients describe the team as "excellent" and report that "they are highly responsive and pragmatic.
"Their pragmatism and ability to help clients achieve their objectives shine through."