James M. Wilson focuses his practice on real estate development and business finance, acquisitions, and dispositions. He regularly handles land use and zoning matters before zoning and planning boards, commissions, and city and county councils. Mr. Wilson has worked extensively in the acquisition and development of hotel, residential, and mixed use projects. He also has assisted clients on brownfields redevelopment and renewable energy projects.
His finance experience includes representing both lenders and borrowers in complex secured loans and in loan workout, forbearance, and modification arrangements. He formerly served as the Chair of the Mortgage Lending Committee of the American Bar Association Section of Real Property Trust & Estate Law.
Mr. Wilson has represented clients in commercial leases, ground leases, and the development and establishment of condominium regimes, marinas, and residential subdivisions.
Prior to returning to his hometown of Charleston, South Carolina, Mr. Wilson practiced law in Washington D.C. where he focused on energy project finance and development and mergers and acquisitions.
- District of Columbia Bar Association (inactive)
- South Carolina Bar Association
- Former Chair, Mortgage Lending Committee, American Bar Association Section of Real Property Trust & Estate Law
Honors and Awards
- Chambers USA Ranked Lawyer, Real Estate, South Carolina, 2016 – Present
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America (BL Rankings) in the fields of Banking and Finance Law, Real Estate Law, 2017 – Present
- Recognized in Charleston Business Magazine’s Legal Elite, Commercial Real Estate, 2020 – Present
- Corporate Law, Mergers & Acquisitions, Hospitality & Tourism, Banking & Finance, 2021