James M. Wilson focuses his practice on real estate and business finance, acquisitions, dispositions, and development. His finance experience includes representing both lenders and borrowers in complex secured loans and in loan workout, forbearance, and modification arrangements. Mr. Wilson has worked extensively in the acquisition and development of hotel projects and has assisted clients in the development of renewable energy projects. He formally served as the Chair of the Mortgage Lending Committee of the American Bar Association Section of Real Property Trust & Estate Law.
Mr. Wilson has represented clients in zoning matters, commercial leases, and the development and establishment of condominium regimes, marinas, and residential subdivisions. He also regularly handles drafting and negotiating general commercial contracts, including license agreements and contracts for the sale of goods or services. Prior to returning to his hometown of Charleston, South Carolina, Mr. Wilson practiced law in Washington D.C. where he focused on energy project finance and development and mergers and acquisitions.
- District of Columbia Bar Association (inactive)
- South Carolina Bar Association
- Former Chair, Mortgage Lending Committee, American Bar Association Section of Real Property Trust & Estate Law
Honors and Awards
- Chambers USA Ranked Lawyer, Real Estate, South Carolina, 2016 – Present
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America (BL Rankings) in the fields of Banking and Finance Law, Real Estate Law, 2017 – Present
- Recognized in Charleston Business Magazine’s Legal Elite, Commercial Real Estate, 2020