Womble Bond Dickinson attorneys Matt Homan and Elie Foy took part in a panel discussion titled “Buying, Selling or Staying Put—Proactive Succession Planning.” The hybrid in-person/virtual event took place April 20 and was presented by Womble Bond Dickinson and the Wake Forest University Center for Private Business.
In this session, the panelists covered the key considerations and consequences a company or business owner should be aware of when contemplating a transaction whether one year or five years out from the potential deal. These topics included:
- Differentiating between various transactions structures (merger, stock purchase, asset purchase);
- Due diligence planning consideration;
- Legal issues such as reps & warranties insurance, indemnity provisions, post-closing covenants (non-competes, non-solicits);
- Succession and wealth planning;
- Common mistakes made; and
- Additional important aspects of the deal making process.
Joining Homan and Foy in the discussion were Smith Leonard Partner Darlene Leonard, The Bundy Group Managing Director Clint Bundy, and CenterPoint CFO Founding Principal Gary Applegate.