Our Government Contracting and Cross-Border Trade Attorney Services
Womble Bond Dickinson has the industry experience and “bench strength” to properly assist companies, large and small, at all stages of the government contracts process—from the initial competition to the final close-out of the contract—including:
- Assisting clients compete for government contracts, such as providing hands-on advice on responses to requests for proposals (RFPs) and representing clients in bid protest proceedings.
- Working closely with clients to ensure they understand and are able to comply with government-unique contract terms and applicable regulations, and assisting clients to establish and maintain effective internal compliance programs, manage internal investigations, and prepare appropriate self-disclosures.
- Advising clients on how to protect their intellectual property when doing business with the government.
- Advising clients on government contract country of origin rules, including the Trade Agreements and Buy American Acts and the Berry Amendment.
- Protecting clients’ interests in government contract dispute resolution proceedings, including those that require Top Secret/Sensitive Compartmentalized Information access, such as contract claim proceedings and prime contractor-subcontractor disputes.
- Representing clients in connection with government contract reviews, audits, investigations and enforcement actions, including civil False Claims Act proceedings.
Our attorneys have experience in all of the administrative tribunals and course that resolve disputed government contract matters. We have appeared in matters before the Government Accountability Office, the Court of Federal Claims, various boards of contract appeals, federal and state courts and other specialty forums such as the SBA’s Office of Hearings and Appeals. We are experienced as well with alternative dispute resolution processes.
Clients also look to Womble Bond Dickinson to navigate cross-border issues, including compliance with export controls, embargoes/sanctions, anti-money laundering controls, anti-boycott rules, and the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. We have helped our clients manage complicated issues involving “Made in USA” advertising claims subject to Federal Trade Commission Regulations, country of origin issues, and a variety of trade remedy and import regulations impacting clients’ sourcing of items abroad.
We are experienced with managing due diligence assessments related to the transfer of government contractor businesses and assets, foreign ownership and control issues subject to review by the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (“CFIUS”), and defense security regulations.
Our practice is nationwide in scope, and our lawyers have represented clients in sectors including defense and aerospace, technology and services, life sciences, manufacturing, banking and financial services, universities and non-profits, real estate and construction. As needed, we partner with our colleagues in related practice areas, such as corporate and M&A (stock, asset and merger acquisitions and post-close contract compliance and integration efforts), white collar, environmental, labor and employment, intellectual property, privacy and data protection, cybersecurity, life sciences, bankruptcy and tax. Our goal is to provide each client with top-quality, efficient and practical legal advice to ensure that all elements of the client’s business comply with government regulations.
The foundation of our practice is built on our team’s in-depth understanding of the government contracts industry and practical business-oriented solutions, and we take great pride in the fact that clients often mention the personalized service attributes of our lawyers. We always seek to add value to our clients by understanding each client’s individual business, and delivering targeted advice, insights and connections that help achieve objectives and minimize risk.