The mining industry is among the most heavily regulated, and mining is facing an array of changes and challenges on the legal, operational, economic and environmental fronts. Womble Bond Dickinson works closely with mining and natural resources clients to provide a full range of legal services to meet all business needs.
Our experience in the sector is wide: our mining and minerals focus covers real estate, planning, environmental, litigation, regulatory, employment, construction and engineering specialisms.
We advise mining companies on complex financing and contractual relationships. We have represented mining companies in transferring mining rights and in purchasing significant mining assets. We also have arranged major mining equipment lease arrangements.
Mining companies also look to Womble Bond Dickinson’s transatlantic litigation practice to resolve disputes. We have defended mines in wrongful death, property damage, personal injury, environmental and health & safety cases, including black lung litigation. Our mining industry dispute resolution capabilities include our FirmLogic team, which provides medical and scientific analysis to defend mass torts litigation.
In addition, we help clients identify and resolve environmental regulatory issues related to mining, including soil, air and water impacts.
In the UK, we act for a wide range of minerals clients including landowners, landlord estates and operators with mineral interests.
- Mineral rights, including transfers of ownership
- Leasing rights for undersea mining
- Marine aggregate dredging
- Health & safety
- Development projects
- Registration applications
- Ownership, sterilization and transfer of mineral reservations
- International arbitration.
- Represented a Canadian mining company in analysis of a complex series of transfers of mining rights and transfers of ownership of the real property affected by such mining rights to enable the client to pre-emptively clear title to enhance the likelihood of a speedy sale
- Advised mining companies in finance transactions including syndicated corporate lending, acquisition finance, infrastructure and other project finance, private equity and funds finance, asset-based lending, trade finance, cross-border private placements and restructurings
- Advising the UK Government on establishing funds to invest in former coal mining areas , life sciences and sustainable technology
- Managed records and physical evidence collection, including in-person collection at distant sites, for a large mining corporation in litigation
- Represented the arranger in a $100 million equipment lease to affiliated mining companies
- Represented international mining company in ICC arbitration in Paris, France
- Served as trial counsel for publicly traded corporation in two-week jury trial in an attempt by plaintiffs to shut down a significant and profitable mining operation and recover damages
- Represented an international precious metals mining company in purchasing a mine with over one million ounces of proven reserves in the USA
“Go-to environmental litigation practice, fielding extensive toxic tort expertise and notable experience in high-stakes mass tort actions on a local and a nationwide scale. Also active across areas such as regulatory compliance, agrochemical disputes and emergency response to environmental disasters.”