José Luis Vittor has advised some of the world’s largest banks, corporations, corporate boards and top management on commercial and corporate transactions. With extensive experience and highly regarded in the infrastructure and energy sectors, he focuses his practice on structuring, financing, and project development matters that regularly involve multiple jurisdictions and international considerations. In addition, he advises clients on cross-border banking, mergers and acquisitions (M&A), and foreign direct investments in and out of Latin America, Europe, Asia, and the United States. He leads the firm's Oil & Gas practice in the Energy and Natural Resources Subsector and is the Head of the firm’s Latin America practice.
José Luis has participated in a number of internal investigations and training programs for compliance departments at international companies located in Latin America, Europe, and Africa. These typically cover the negotiation and review of rights and guarantees, due diligence (before and after closing), and provide strategic advice and direction on corporate governance and compliance standards, sanctions and immigration issues.
José Luis is an officer and council member of the Energy, Environment, Natural Resources and Infrastructure Law Section of the International Bar Association and a former president and member of the board of the Instituto Argentino del Petróleo y Gas, Houston, an independent business relations trade organization comprising multinational energy companies.
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Represented CarVal Investors, a global alternative investment manager, in the restructuring and acquisition of Supercanal.
- Represented Mitsui in the price renegotiation of gas supply agreements from the US to Mexico with several trading firms for power generation facilities in Mexico.
- Represented CarVal Investors, a global alternative investment manager, in the restructuring and equity infusion of DESA.
- Represented Samsung Engineering in the corporate structuring for the development of the Dos Bocas refinery project in Mexico.
- Represented the IFC and the international lenders in a 4G infrastructure project in Colombia.
- Represented the second largest city in Argentina in its successful negotiation of its US$150 million debt restructuring.
- Represented Colombian infrastructure and transmission group ISA in its investment in Andean Tower Partners, an owner and operator of wireless communication infrastructure in the Andean Region.
- Represented Colombian infrastructure and transmission group ISA in the equity financing and acquisition by Andean Tower Partners of Torres Unidas, a leading independent owner and operator of communications towers in South America.
- Represented a national oil and gas company in the negotiation of a US$3bn LPG supply arrangement with a Houston-based company.
- Represented a private equity firm in the acquisition of one the largest emerald mines in the world and the subsequent restructuring of its assets in Colombia.
- Represented Ecopetrol in the potential acquisition of a Toronto Exchange listed oil and gas junior.
- Represented a US private equity fund in the divestiture of an oil and gas service company assets in Argentina, Bolivia and Chile.
- Represented one of the largest telecom and media groups in its global corporate compliance program and training after its successful settlement with the SEC due to an alleged FCPA violation in Brazil.
- Represented the second largest transmission company in Colombia in its compliance program review.
- Represented a Chilean developer in negotiations with the developer of an LNG terminal in Corpus Christi, Texas, and in the development of LNG facilities.
- Represented Ecopetrol SA in the development of the Barranca Bermeja Refinery Project.
- Represented a Panamanian energy company in the negotiation of an LPG supply arrangement with Trafigura AG in Houston, Texas.
- Represented a leading European energy trader in its successful international auction bid for supplying thermal mineral coal to Mexico's CFE.
- Represented an oil and gas company in the potential development of a gas pipeline between Colombia and Venezuela.
- Represented a monoliner as a potential insurer of bonds to be issued for the East End Crossing Bridge Project.
- Represented an international airport operator in the Abertis' divestiture process of assets in Europe and the Americas.
- Represented a Chilean investment company in the corporate and tax analysis for an investment in a public-private partnership in a brownfield highway.
- Represented an international oil and gas services company in connection with its operations and compliance program in Nigeria.
- Represented Millicom Cellular International S.A. in the acquisition of Cablevisión Paraguay, a subsidiary of Grupo Clarín.
- Represented Petrobal in the association with Fieldwood for the CNH bidding round and its successful bid in the bidding rounds in Mexico.
Professional & Civic Engagement
- Society of British and Argentine Lawyers, Founder Member
- Buenos Aires Bar Association, Member
- International Bar Association, Officer
- Energy, Environment, Natural Resources and Infrastructure Law Section, Officer and Council Member
- Instituto Argentino del Petróleo y Gas, Houston, Former President and Member
Honors & Awards
- Legal 500 Latin America 2023 recognized Womble as a “Firm to Watch” in its City Focus: Houston section, noting the growth of the Latin America practice led by the hire of Jose Luis Vittor and further strengthened with the addition of Francisco Balduzzi
- Recognized in Legal 500 US, Energy Transactions: Oil and Gas, 2017, 2020
- Recognized in Legal 500 US, Finance: Project Finance, 2017
Publications and Presentations
- “Winning Work in the U.S.: Navigating the New U.S. Infrastructure Bill,” in conjunction with the Colombia American Chamber of Commerce and Gomez-Pinzon (June 2022)
- “Winning Work in the U.S.: Navigating the New U.S. Infrastructure Bill,” in conjunction with the Uruguayan Chamber of Construction and Guyer & Regules (March 2022)
- Co-Moderator, “How Climate Change Will Impact the Legal Landscape in the Americas,” IBA’s Deals, Disruptions and Growth Areas in the Americas Conference, Miami, FL, December 7, 2021
- "Legal Guide to Starting a Business in the United States," Womble Bond Dickinson, May 2021