Larry is a Tax, Trusts, and Estates attorney based out of Womble Bond Dickinson’s Raleigh office.
Larry’s practice includes advising clients in a broad range of estate and trust matters, including estate planning and administration, gift and charitable contribution planning, the formation and usage of limited liability entities, and business succession planning. He also regularly represents clients in the modification and termination of irrevocable trusts.
In addition, Larry advises clients involved in will and trust disputes, breach of fiduciary duty claims, and other fiduciary litigation concerning the rights, duties and powers of trustees and beneficiaries under the terms of trust agreements. His fiduciary litigation clients include executors, individual and corporate trustees, and estate and trust beneficiaries.
Larry is a resource for clients making financial decisions. He often works across practices with his colleagues in the Business Litigation, Corporate, Intellectual Property, Bankruptcy, and Real Estate practice groups to deliver the highest quality, total package general representation for individuals and entities.
Presentations and Publications
- Contributing Author, Recent Developments in Federal and State Law for The Will & The Way North Carolina Bar Association Estate Planning and Fiduciary Law Section Newsletter, July 2014 through July 2017.
- Is It All About the Money? Considering a Multi-factor Test for Determining the Appropriateness of Forced Partition Sales in North Carolina, The Campbell Law Review, 33 Campbell L. Rev. 411(2011)
- Speaker, “Recent Developments in Federal and State Law, North Carolina Bar Association Estate Planning and Fiduciary Law Section Meeting, July, 2016
- What Commercial Lenders Should Know About Estates and Trusts, Presentation to Institutional Creditor, May, 2017
Civic and Professional Activities
- Wake County Estate Planning Council, Second Vice President and Membership Chair
- North Carolina Bar Association, Estate Planning and Fiduciary Law Section Member, Author, and Speaker
- Tenth Judicial District Bar Association Member
- First Presbyterian Church of Raleigh, Deacon, 2017-Present
- Park Scholarships Selection Committee Member: Triangle Region, 2012-Present
- Greater Raleigh Chamber of Commerce Leadership Raleigh 31 Graduate
Honors and Awards
- Recognized in Business North Carolina magazine's Legal Elite, Tax/Estate Planning, 2020 – 2021
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America (BL Rankings) in the fields of Closely Held Companies and Family Businesses Law, Trusts and Estates, 2018 – Present
- Selected to the North Carolina Rising Stars list by Super Lawyers (Thomson Reuters) in Estate & Trust Litigation, Estate Planning & Probate, 2019, 2021
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Assisted closely-held business owner in establishing trusts for grandchildren, transferring family business interests into trusts, and revising governing business operating agreement to account for new minority interest owners
- Assisted owners of s-corp in liquidating commercial property and navigating tax consequences of transaction
- Assisted corporate creditor in renegotiating credit facilities with retail entities and deceased guarantor’s estate
- Formed non-profit corporation, secured tax-exempt status for corporation from IRS, and advised family in obliging corporate formalities in administering corporation
- Assisted out-of-state client in by-passing sibling to qualify to administer deceased parent’s estate and trust; discovering and taking control of various liquid and non-liquid assets; and selling real and personal property to satisfy estate obligations and fund trust