The Medical and Scientific Solutions Team Will Continue to Focus on Research and Analysis for Litigation and Regulatory Compliance Clients.
WINSTON-SALEM, NC—Womble Bond Dickinson’s experienced team of medical, scientific and legal professionals has a new name. The same services that have helped clients succeed in litigation and regulatory compliance for over 25 years will be provided by Medical and Scientific Solutions, formerly known as FirmLogic. As Medical and Scientific Solutions, the group will be one of WBD’s Advance Services, utilizing lawyer and staff resources to meet legal and business needs in the greater marketplace.
Team Leader Chris Douglas said the name change was made to clearly delineate the range of services available to clients, which combine cutting-edge technical knowledge from the medical, scientific and regulatory fields, often delivered by non-legal professionals, with practical insight and innovative legal strategies guided by experienced attorneys.
“Clients can rest assured that only our name is changing. We are just as committed to providing outstanding client service as we always have been,” Douglas said.
The Medical and Scientific Solutions Team consists of lawyers, nurses, researchers, and analysts, including members with medical degrees and advanced degrees in pharmacology, toxicology, epidemiology, cognitive psychology, public health, molecular and cellular biology, pathobiology and veterinary medicine. Together they deliver medical and scientific research and analysis to help clients and their counsel defend a range of lawsuits from individual claims to mass torts litigation. Team members also help clients understand and prepare to address complex medical, scientific, and legal issues as they emerge.
In addition, the Medical and Scientific Solutions Team provides clients customized legal, technical and scientific analysis and commentary to inform regulatory agencies during the administrative rule-making process. Team members also research and advise on issues that arise for manufacturers of FDA-regulated products.
Medical and Scientific Solutions’ specific services include:
- Medical Materials Collection and Oversight . Locating, verifying and organizing patient records and other medical documents relevant to litigation, as well as physical evidence, such as pathology and radiology.
- Medical Analysis and Consulting . Examining patient medical histories and spotting key issues for a defense team, including confounding factors, alternate causations, and missing information. Includes chronologies, medical expense analyses and life care plans.
- Scientific and Medical Research . Customized by skilled researchers, a medical librarian, and other professionals to reflect the impact of the science on the legal issues and meet the needs of attorneys.
- Regulatory Compliance . Experienced medical writers work with clients’ regulatory departments to prepare product-related submissions, and experienced regulatory publishers use industry best-practice technology solutions to convert the documents into properly formatted, submission-ready applications, amendments, supplements, and reports for FDA centers.
- Expert Witness Development . Team members research, screen, and prepare expert witnesses. They also work with trial lawyers to develop expert witness testimony, and have done so in hundreds of trials with experts in dozens of medical and scientific fields throughout the country and internationally.
- Deposition Analysis and Summarization – Focused on medical and scientific issues, this team of discerning professionals is trained to identify and select significant testimony to support litigation strategies. Categorized information can be organized into topical or transcript sequential summaries.
Womble Bond Dickinson originally created FirmLogic (now Medical and Scientific Solutions) more than 25 years ago to provide scientific and technology-based services to companies engaged in large-scale litigation in which medical facts are at issue. The practice and its services quickly grew and they have worked with clients throughout the US and across the world.