Womble Bond Dickinson attorney Bryant Caldwell is now a Commissioner on the South Carolina State Ethics Commission. The South Carolina Legislature recently approved Caldwell’s appointment and he will serve a five-year term on the Commission.
The State Ethics Commission is the state agency responsible for the enforcement of the Ethics Reform Act of 1991 to restore public trust in government. The mission of the State Ethics Commission is to carry out this mandate by:
- Insuring compliance with the state's laws on financial disclosure, lobbyist/lobbyist's principal disclosure and campaign disclosure;
- Regulating lobbyists and lobbying organizations;
- Issuing advisory opinions interpreting the statute; educating public officeholders and the public on the requirements of the state's ethics laws;
- Conducting criminal and administrative investigations of violations of the state's ethics laws; and
- Prosecuting violators either administratively or criminally.
Caldwell is a business litigation attorney in Womble Bond Dickinson’s Columbia, SC office. He has particular experience advising clients in the utilities and financial services sectors.