We want to help our clients be as successful as they can be, while managing risk and costs.
Chemical companies share complex supply chains, operate in high hazard environments and are subject to an ever-increasing regulatory burden. We’re here to make sure none of that slows your business down.
We’re proud to be one of the few firms in the UK and US with a dedicated chemicals sector team and our lawyers are among the most experienced in the country. This is why we’re trusted by a diverse spectrum of clients in the industry.
Whether you’re looking for sound legal insight into commercial activities relating to purchase and supply agreements, manufacturing contracts or the outsourcing of key business functions; intellectual property advice (including patent and trademark litigation, licensing, and prosecution); health and safety or environmental compliance advice; competition law support; or commercial disputes, we have the experience to provide the most up to date, relevant advice in the sector.
We understand that your business has a range of circumstances unique to you, in relation to skills, training, and employment law, as well as pensions in the UK. The same applies for the intellectual property aspects of product and process development as well as corporate mergers, acquisitions and joint ventures.
We want to make it easy for you to do business and that means being prepared to balance legal clarity with a practical approach where complex site and property matters are concerned, as well as helping you make the right decisions on construction and engineering projects.
Our lawyers deliver results because they’ve taken the time to truly invest in your industry. They have a real practical and commercial understanding of what it takes for you to be successful, making them exactly the kind of legal adviser you want at your side.
What we do
- Litigation including mass torts and class actions
- Commercial services
- Intellectual property
- Commercial disputes
- Corporate mergers and acquisitions
- Health and safety
- Regulatory and environment
- Competition and compliance
- Carbon trading
- Energy - electricity & renewables and oil & gas.
Examples of work
- Advising a global manufacturer of petrochemicals, specialty chemicals and oil products on a service level agreement for intragroup carbon trading. This involved drafting and negotiation of carbon trading documentation with various counterparties as well as advice on the carbon reduction commitment (CRC), in connection with various UK and international facilities
- Advising Chemoxy International on the purchase of the contract manufacture and custom processing business of Dow Chemical Company and subsequently helping the business to secure growth capital from the Business Growth Fund
- Advising Innovia Films on the remediation and sale of a former chemical manufacturing facility. This involved the sale of a former chemical manufacturing facility at Bridgwater, Somerset for redevelopment. We advised on the property, planning, engineering and environmental and safety aspects of the project
- Advising on the outsourcing of on-site product handling and shipping functions for Lotte Chemical UK’s PET resin operations. Our work involved drafting and negotiating a terminal services agreement and freight services agreement, advising on the documentation for the construction of an operating terminal for the services to be provided and the lease of part of the site
- Advising a UK equity house on environmental liabilities in the purchase of a chemical manufacturing business, including assisting in the transfer of environmental permits.
- Lead counsel defending international chemical manufacturer against EPA and third-party claims in Superfund case in Rhode Island
- As lead counsel, defended class action in North Carolina involving claims against major refiner/distributor of gasoline for wrongful death, personal injury, property damage and medical monitoring based on alleged exposure to benzene through air emissions and groundwater contamination. Defeated class certification and thereafter resolved individual claims to our client’s advantage
- As lead counsel, represented DynaEnergetics in a patent and trademark suit brought by GEODynamics in the Eastern District of Texas in a case related to perforating systems in oil and gas wells. After a four-day jury trial, DynaEnergetics obtained a complete defense verdict, including a finding of noninfringement and three different bases of invalidity for each of the patent claims. At a subsequent bench trial on the trademark “reactive”, Judge Payne issued a judgment to cancel GEODynamics’ incontestable trademark, finding that it was generic
- Represented a multinational chemical company in negotiating a multi-million-dollar technology licensing agreement with a European-based technology provider, to facilitate client’s manufacture of methanol from natural gas, and propylene from methanol, in connection with the company’s largest capital investment in North America