To be a leader in Chem, Pharma, or Biotech, you need ideas and technology that are innovative and accessible. No one understands this better than Womble Bond Dickinson. Our patent attorneys and professionals have a broad range of legal and technical experience in these areas as well as advanced degrees so we understand both the business and scientific challenges behind your Intellectual Property decisions.
Womble Bond Dickinson’s US Chemical/Pharmaceutical/Biotech Patent Team has a broad range of legal and technical experience in chemistry, pharmaceutical products, formulations, biotechnology, biologics, agricultural biotechnology, biosimilars, and medical devices.
Our team includes experienced patent professionals with advanced scientific degrees, including those with doctoral degrees in areas such as chemistry, biochemistry, molecular biology, immunology, and neuroscience.
We regularly advise Pharmaceutical and Bio-pharmaceutical companies on IP issues related to biologics and proprietary manufacturing and purification processes. Several of our team members have experience working at pharmaceutical and Biotech companies as in-house counsel or scientists. Several others are former patent examiners with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. (USPTO)
The broad legal background of our team means we’re familiar with an array of complex technological issues, including: small molecule synthesis and formulation, small molecule screening methods, nutraceuticals and supplements, biologics (antibody, protein, and nucleic acid-based compounds), biosimilars, protein formulations, protein manufacturing, plasma fractionation, fermentation and cell culture methods; protein expression vectors and cell lines; preparation of plasma-derived proteins, manufacturing processes related to viral inactivation, antibody scaffolds, antibody fragments, gene therapy, and vaccine development.
Our Areas of Experience:
- Patent prosecution (both US and foreign)
- IP counseling, including freedom-to-operate, invalidity and infringement analysis
- Life cycle management strategy
- Advanced” prosecution activities, including inter partes reviews and reexaminations, reissues,interferences, and European opposition proceedings
- Due diligence related to licensing or M&A transactions
- Pre-litigation due diligence
- Preparation of a biosimilar or specialty pharma strategy
- Complex IP-related transactions, commercial transactions and joint ventures
- Patent litigation (including ANDA litigation)
- Patent portfolio audits