What We Do
Our dynamic team consists of commodities lawyers and trade attorneys, many of whom have served in leadership roles in leading industry organizations such as the Committee of Chief Risk Officers (CCRO), the Energy Bar Association and the ABA’s Committee on Gas and Electric Marketing.
Clients of our Energy Commodities Trading Team
Working across the entirety of the energy sector, our commodities and trade lawyers guide major oil companies, hedge funds, independent trading and marketing companies, retail energy providers and banks, providing them with the guidance they need to negotiate, structure and document all necessary trade agreements.
Commodities Trading Advisor Services
Forming the backbone of our advisory services, our lawyers guide clients through regulatory and trading compliance issues related to energy commodities. We also counsel trading companies in regulatory investigations by the Commodity Futures Trading Commission, Federal Energy Regulatory Commission and futures exchanges.
Our extensive experience working with clients entering the global commodities markets has also seen us assist with obtaining licenses, get regulatory and exchange approvals, establish forms of documentation and implement FERC, CFTC, Dodd Frank and FTC compliance programs. Moreover, the team is a leader in assisting energy and commodity companies through the complexities of bankruptcy, including significant experience with the Bankruptcy Code’s safe harbor provisions related to forward contracts, swap agreements and marketing agreements. This experience includes the Lehman, The SemGroup, Enron, Mirant and NEGT Energy Trading (formally PG&E Energy Trading) bankruptcy proceedings.
Outside of our services relating to restructurings and regulatory compliance, our energy trade lawyers also help clients with:
- Complex forward commodity transactions involving physical power, crude oil and natural gas
- Hedging programs for upstream producers
- Commodity intermediary arrangements to address credit challenges
- Various trading relationships, as well as setting up compliance programs under industry-standard agreements, including:
- EEI Power Purchase and Sale Agreements
- ISDA Master Agreements
- Master Netting Agreements
- NAESB Master Agreements
- LEAP and related industry contracts
- Commodity supply/finance transactions
- Commodity tolling agreements, including those involving power, crude, and NGLs
- Commodity storage and marketing arrangements
- Energy-related swaps and derivatives
- Supply and offtake agreements
- Mergers & acquisitions in which energy commodities are involved.
No matter your current position within the energy sector, our commodities trading advisors have the knowledge and resources to help you reach your goals. To learn more about the services we offer, or to set up a meeting to discuss your needs, fill out our online contact form, or reach out directly to the key contacts displayed above.