Clients know that veteran transactions lawyer Dean Rutley understands them, their businesses, and their industries. As a result, he twice has been named a BTI Client Service All-Star, one of only a handful of US attorneys to be so recognized on more than one occasion.
Dean is a veteran transactions lawyer who has overseen deals in the US, UK, Europe, the Pacific Rim and beyond for companies in aerospace and defense, information technology, government services, cybersecurity, telecommunications, biotechnology, e-commerce, banking and finance, among other sectors. He has significant experience in the rapidly emerging global field of Financial Technology (“FinTech”) and is a co-leader of the firm’s FinTech sector.
Dean’s transactions work includes mergers and acquisitions, corporate structuring, compliance with federal and state securities laws, board of directors duties, negotiated resolution of business disputes, licensing and joint venture agreements. He also counsels venture capital firms in the areas of organization, financing, equity distribution, venture capital investments and other operational matters.
Dean currently serves as General Counsel to the Association for Corporate Growth, National Capital Chapter, and as a Member of the Board of Advisors for the George Washington University Law School Government Contracts Program.
In addition to his recognition from BTI, Dean also was named an Acritas Star for outstanding client service in both 2017 and 2018.
Presentations and Publications
- Moderator/Panelist, M&A Acceleration Strategies, The CFO Leadership Council, April 15, 2020
- Panelist, Best Practices in Creating Deal Value in the GovCon M&A Market, GovCon Summit and Recognize DC Awards, October 17, 2019
- Moderator/Panelist at the 6th Annual Business Alliance Bootcamp for Growing Companies and Entrepreneurs on CyberSecurity, February 27, 2009
- Presentation, Anatomy of an M&A Transaction, Bank of America Select Circle Luncheon
- Presenter, Special Purpose Acquisition Companies, Atlanta Venture Forum, April 5, 2006
- Speaker on “Anatomy of an M&A Transaction” to Northern Chapter of Virginia Society of CPAs CFO/Controller Group
- "M&A Transactions & PPP Eligibility and Forgiveness Considerations", National Law Review, June 2020
- “GovTech M&A: A Selection of Evolving Trends in Mergers and Acquisitions”, National Law Review, October 2017
- Member, Board of Advisors, George Washington University Law School Government Contracts Program
- General Counsel, Association for Corporate Growth National Capital Chapter
- Past Chairman, Grubstake Breakfast Program, Business Alliance of George Mason University
- Member, Northern Virginia Technology Council, Private Equity Committee
Honors and Awards
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America (BL Rankings) in the fields of Corporate Governance Law, Corporate Law, Venture Capital Law, 2020 – 2021
- Recognized as a BTI Client Service All-Star (Read More)
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Heartland Payment Systems (NYSE:HPY), one of the world's largest payment processors, in more than 35 M&A transactions, including the $375 million acquisition of TouchNet Information Systems, Inc.
- 1eEurope, Ltd. in the $500 million acquisition of nine foreign companies throughout Europe, including the UK, Germany, Netherlands, Spain, France and Belgium.
- eLink Communications, Inc., a telecommunications company, in its merger with Eureka Broadband Corporation.
- Vision Systems Technology, Inc., a provider of intelligence services to the NSA and other government intelligence agencies, in its acquisition by SAS Institute, Inc.
- Rsignia, Inc., a leading provider of advanced cybersecurity solutions, in its acquisition by KEYW Corporation (NASDAQ: KEYW).
- Celestech, Inc., a provider of advanced signal processing and communications systems, in its acquisition by Excelis, Inc. (NYSE: XLS).
- Penn Diagnostics in the sale of its ONCAD related intellectual property to Invivo Corporation (a subsidiary of Philips Healthcare).
- Guided Brown Advisory in the acquisition of Meritage Capital, LLC, a registered investment advisor (RIA) on May 3, 2018, and venture capital firm NextGen Venture Partners on February 22, 2018.