No matter what financial regulatory issue is facing our financial institution clients, we have an attorney who understands the daily impact it has on your business. Our attorneys serve financial services companies around the country and can advise you on regulatory, risk management and compliance issues at the federal and state levels.
Areas of Focus:
We counsel boards, audit, nominating/governance and compensation committees as well as special committees of public companies on a variety of key issues such as:
- Preparing SEC filings
- Fiduciary duties
- Executive compensation
- SEC, NYSE and NASDAQ corporate governance rules and standards
- Audit committee composition and process
- Board independence and composition, legal compliance policies, codes of ethics and board committee charters
- Activist shareholder issues
Our attorneys have extensive experience advising clients on the business and legal risks of transactions, negotiating terms of all forms of agreements, and helping clients navigate the regulatory application process. We represent financial institutions in all of the following:
- Mergers (holding company and bank level)
- Branch dispositions and acquisitions
- Acquisitions of non-banking entities such as broker-dealers and investment advisers
- Initial public offerings, follow-on offerings, private placement capital raises and debt offerings
- De novo formation
- Charter conversions
Consumer Finance Regulations
Our attorneys are familiar with the regulations that govern a vast array of financial products and services, including:
- Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (“FDCPA”)
- Telephone Consumer Protection Act (“TCPA”)
- Fair Credit Reporting Act (“FCRA”)
- Americans with Disabilities Act (“ADA”)
- State and federal Unfair Trade Practices and state consumer protection laws
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (“CFPB”) regulations
The Firm maintains two blogs, TCPA Defense Force and FCRAland where our attorneys discuss relevant legal trends, regulatory developments and key legislative decisions.
Privacy and Cybersecurity
Our Privacy and Cybersecurity Team is led by a former cybercrime prosecutor and a published author on privacy issues. We advise financial institutions on best practices for financial privacy and payment data, data collection and management and Europe’s GDPR, among other issues. When called upon, we also defend clients in disputes over privacy concerns or cybersecurity incidents.
FinTech Regulatory Issues
We advise clients on emerging payment technologies, prepaid and stored value products, mobile payments, web-based financial services, virtual currency and distributed ledger technology. Certain team members were previously in-house at Fintech companies or have experience working for the U.S. Department of Treasury.