Our Financial Regulatory Services
With a background in various sectors of law, our team of highly skilled attorneys strive to provide thorough and effective legal advice to clients with a focus on main areas of financial regulatory law including the following:
Our financial regulatory lawyers counsel boards, audit nominating, governance and compensation committees and special committees of public companies on a variety of key issues such as:
- SEC filings
- Fiduciary duties
- Executive compensation
- SEC, NYSE and NASDAQ corporate governance rules and standards
- Audit committee composition and processes
- Governance issues, including board independence and composition, legal compliance policies, codes of ethics and board committee charters
- Activist shareholder issues.
Our financial regulatory attorneys have extensive experience advising clients on the business and legal risks of transactions, helping to negotiate terms of all forms of agreements, and supporting clients in navigating financial regulatory processes related to complex transactions. Our team is here to represent financial institutions in all of the following:
- Mergers (holding company and bank level)
- Branch dispositions and acquisitions
- Acquisitions of non-banking entities such as broker-dealers and investment advisers
- Initial public offerings, follow-on offerings, private placement capital raises and debt offerings
- De novo formation
- Charter conversions.
Consumer Finance Regulations
Our attorneys are familiar with the regulations that govern a vast array of financial products and services, including:
- Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA)
- Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA)
- Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA)
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- State and federal Unfair Trade Practices and state consumer protection laws
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) regulations.
Our law firm contributes to two blogs, TCPA Defense Force and FCRAland, where our attorneys discuss relevant legal trends, regulatory developments and key legislative decisions.
Privacy and Cybersecurity
Our Privacy and Cybersecurity team is led by a former cybercrime prosecutor and a published author on privacy issues. Our financial regulation lawyers advise institutions on best practices for financial privacy and payment data, data collection and management and Europe’s GDPR, among other issues. When called upon, we are also quick to defend clients in disputes over a myriad of privacy concerns or cybersecurity incidents.
FinTech Regulatory Issues
Our financial regulatory lawyers are also on-hand to advise clients on emerging payment technologies such as; prepaid and stored value products, mobile payments, web-based financial services, virtual currency and distributed ledger technology. With certain members of our law firm previously working in-house at FinTech companies, and with extensive experience working for the U.S. Department of Treasury, we are able to offer clients comprehensive and effective financial regulatory support related to FinTech.
If you’re a financial institution looking for legal support and guidance across all matters of financial regulations and compliance laws, browse through our financial regulatory lawyers and professional staff to find out how we can help you. Get in touch with our leading attorneys today here at Womble Bond Dickinson.