Sterling counsels financial services clients through heavily regulated financial services and consumer finance sectors. He earned his stripes by being a compass for clients coming out of the 2008 financial crisis and while serving as Vice President, Counsel, and Chief Compliance Officer to Advance American Cash Advance Centers, Inc., the largest provider of non-bank cash advance services in the United States.
Sterling’s previous in-house experience is valuable to clients and as a Partner in Womble Bond Dickinson’s Business Litigation Practice Group and as a member of Financial Services Litigation Team and Consumer Finance Litigation Team. He represents public and private companies and financial institutions on class actions and dispute resolution alternatives such as loan modifications, forbearance agreements, and other loan workouts. Sterling also counsels financial industry clients regarding regulatory compliance, consumer credit issues, commercial real estate transactions and disputes, complex business litigation, and general corporate matters.
As a member of the Financial Services Litigation Team, Sterling represents domestic banks and servicers in commercial loan workout and foreclosure work as well as consumer finance litigation.
Sterling serves as the leader of the Firm’s Consumer Financial Services Team, as a member of the Firm’s Diversity Committee and the Firm’s Budgeting Committee. He is listed in the “Legal Elite of the Upstate” and Best Lawyers for Consumer Law.
Civic and Professional Activities
- Mentor, Federal Drug Court Program
- Member, Haynsworth-Perry American Inn of Court, 2012 – present
- Lecturer, Furman University OLLE Program, 2008 – present
- Member, South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys’ Association
- American Bar Association
- South Carolina Bar Association
- Greenville County Bar
- Spartanburg County Bar (Treasurer/Secretary, 1997-2000)
- Board Member, Spartanburg County Hospice Foundation (1997-2000; Treasurer, 2000)
Honors and Awards
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America (BL Rankings), Consumer Law, 2018 – Present
- Recognized in Greenville Business Magazine's Legal Elite