The lawyers on our Professional Risk Disputes Team are known for their ability to resolve the most complex and challenging claims arising out of allegations of professional negligence and breach of fiduciary duty and other duties.
We represent clients across a variety of professions and have particular experience defending lawyers, accountants, and architects. We also regularly represent investment and financial services professionals, IT consultants, and others.
At Womble Bond Dickinson, we have a wealth of experience representing clients in courts across the country at trial and on appeal. Our professional liability lawyers are part of a larger Litigation Group comprised of more than 200 lawyers throughout the United States.
Lawyers Defending Lawyers
We are trusted by high profile law firms and their lawyers to defend them in their most significant professional liability disputes, including legal malpractice and breach of fiduciary duties. As partners at a large AmLaw 100 firm handling sophisticated work, we understand your world and the unique pressures that lawyers face.
Our team is led by our own former US General Counsel, Mike Barnhill, who understands risk management from both a macro and micro perspective. In his role as General Counsel and in general practice, Mike has handled and led teams of lawyers handling complex legal malpractice claims, lawsuits, and a myriad of other ethics and compliance matters. Our team has extensive experience working with ALAS and other insurance carriers.
We represent law firms, lawyers and general counsel clients in a broad range of issues, including:
- Advertising review
- Attorney client privilege
- Attorney work product privilege
- Bad client issues
- Breach of fiduciary duties
- Compensation discrimination claims
- Conflicts involving current and former clients
- Engagement letters
- Impaired lawyers
- Imputed disqualification and ethical screens
- Joint defense privilege
- Legal malpractice lawsuits
- Motions for sanctions and/or disqualification
- State bar grievances
- Subpoena responses
- Unauthorized practice of law
Adding Value to Your Business
Womble Bond Dickinson offers clients big firm resources without big firm inefficiencies. Our partners are hands-on in every case — providing clear, timely, and business-focused advice to our clients. When you retain our firm, you retain the core team — and that core team will handle your matter.
We work hard to add real value to your business — not just by delivering results efficiently and cost-effectively, but also by demonstrating our commitment to innovation, understanding your objectives and anticipating your needs.
In short, we protect reputations and save money.
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Successfully defended an AmLaw 100 law firm in federal court against allegations of professional negligence and legal malpractice arising out of advice and counsel given to management in a union representation campaign.
- Successfully defended an AmLaw 100 firm in federal court against allegations of professional negligence and legal malpractice arising out of firm’s defense of a commercial litigation case.
- Successfully defended Governor of South Carolina against ethics charges before the South Carolina House Ethics Committee and in related litigation brought in the South Carolina Supreme Court’s original jurisdiction.
- Successfully defended Governor of South Carolina in impeachment proceedings commenced by the South Carolina House of Representatives and in related litigation brought in the original jurisdiction of the South Carolina Supreme Court.
- Successfully defended the Governor of South Carolina in the original jurisdiction of the Supreme Court and preserved the Chief Executive’s authority to convene the General Assembly on “extraordinary occasions” pursuant to South Carolina Constitution Art. IV, Sec. 19.
- Successfully defended the constitutional authority of the Governor of South Carolina to veto specific appropriations contained within the General Assembly’s annual appropriations bill.
- Represented former Corporate Controller of Fortune 100 company regarding alleged improper accounting practices involving over $120 million during internal investigation; then represented the Corporate Controller and two senior managers/accountants before the State Board of Public Accountancy on grievances involving similar allegations, which resulted in a complete dismissal of the charges. As co-counsel, represented the former Corporate Controller, the head of Regulatory Affairs and the Corporate Controller in the United States Grand Jury investigation into the alleged improper accounting practices. (US Attorney declined to prosecute.)
- Represented clients in legal malpractice trials in State and Federal Courts in multiple jurisdictions.
- Represented clients in appellate matters involving claims arising from the practice of law, including legal malpractice, breach of fiduciary duty and breach of contract.
- Routinely advises clients on matters related to fulfilling ethical obligations related to retention agreements, conflicts analysis, and privilege reviews.