Mike is a veteran business litigator with extensive experience in corporate control litigation, financial services litigation and local government disputes. He also serves as Womble Bond Dickinson – US’s General Counsel, advising the firm’s 500+ attorneys on ethical and professional responsibility issues.
For more than 30 years, he has represented companies in shareholder and corporate control disputes, major contract disputes, deceptive trade practices cases, trade secrets misappropriation matters and securities fraud claims.
Mike regularly represents major financial institutions in financial services litigation, including cases and matters related to:
- Mortgage insurance disputes, including insurance recovery
- Indemnity agreements between master servicers, sponsors and Trustees
- Consumer finance issues
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau issues, including civil investigative demands
- “Predatory” lending and fair lending matters.
For more than 15 years, he has served at the top levels of firm management, including service on the Firm Management Committee and as Managing Partner of the Charlotte office: He has dealt with the same types of business issues that clients face – issues such as staffing, strategic planning, expansion, contraction and financing -- and he brings this first-hand business management experience to his litigation practice.
Lecturer for Wake Forest University School of Law Annual Review, 1990-2004 on Constitutional law, Legal Malpractice, Damages, Products Liability and Tort
American Bar Association (Litigation Section)
- North Carolina State Bar
- North Carolina Bar Association (Litigation Section)
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association
- Member, British American Business Council of North Carolina, Inc.
Honors and Awards
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© in the fields of Administrative / Regulatory Law, Commercial Litigation, Litigation - Banking and Finance, Litigation - Mergers and Acquisitions, Litigation - Municipal, Litigation - Securities, Litigation - Trusts and Estates, Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants, Professional Malpractice Law - Defendants, 2007 – Present
- North Carolina Super Lawyers
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- United Guaranty Residential Insurance Company of North Carolina v. Countrywide Financial Corp and Countrywide Home Loans, Inc., MDNC (2009-2010) Represented Countrywide entities in federal lawsuit by mortgage insurer who asserted claims of breach of contract, fraud, and unfair trade practice arising from its issuance of mortgage insurance on billions of dollars of second home mortgages, securitized by Countrywide. Following successful motions to dismiss the tort based claims, the matter resolved favorably.
- Dunn Southeast Inc d/b/a RJ Griffin & Company v. Charlotte F.C., LLC, NC State Court, 2010, Represented mezzanine lender in failed, large scale construction project to favorable resolution.
- Mecklenburg County v. Nortel Government Solutions, Inc., WDNC (2007 – 2010) Successfully represented Mecklenburg County for defendant’s alleged failure to develop and deliver new software system.
- Mecklenburg County v. Time Warner Entertainment-Advance Newhouse Partnership, No. 3:05cv333 (WDNC) (Lead counsel representing County in claims for breach of cable T.V. franchise agreement that was resolved favorably)