Kevin is a skilled commercial litigator and political law attorney whose practice intersects at the four corners of law, business, politics and public policy. He has represented Fortune 500 companies in high-stakes litigation and elected officials facing ethics charges, criminal prosecution, and/or impeachment and removal from political office. Kevin thrives on guiding clients through the most difficult business and political controversies they face.
On the business side, Kevin has tried commercial cases to verdict in state and federal courts including claims such as breach of contract, business torts, unfair trade practices, unfair competition, commercial disparagement, and federal and state class actions. He has argued numerous cases before the South Carolina Supreme Court, various federal and state courts in South Carolina, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.
Civic and Professional Activities
- Former Chair, Sisters of Charity Foundation
- Former Chair, Voices for South Carolina’s Children
- Co-Chair, South Carolina Republican Party’s Victory 2008 Campaign
- Member, South Carolina’s Broadband Technology and Communications Study Committee, 2007
- Chairman, South Carolina Retirement Systems Investment Commission, 2004
- Co-Chair, Governor’s Task Force on Government Restructuring and Campaign Finance Reform, 2002
- Member, Republican National Lawyers Association, The Federalist Society
Honors and Awards
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© in the field of Commercial Litigation, 2003 – Present
- Super Lawyers Honoree, 2008 – 2018
- The Best Lawyers in the Midlands, Columbia Metropolitan magazine, 2013
- Legal Elite of the Midlands, Government Law Attorneys, Columbia Business Monthly, 2015
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Won a defense verdict and attorneys’ fee award for a software developer after a multi-week jury trial in federal court that involved business tort and contract claims.
- Won a declaratory ruling in federal court striking down portions of the South Carolina State Ethics Code on First Amendment grounds.
- Won a jury trial verdict of nearly $2 million against a chemical treatment company in a multi-week jury trial in federal court.
- Successfully represented multiple statewide elected officials in cases in the original jurisdiction of the South Carolina Supreme Court, before legislative ethics committees, and in impeachment proceedings in the South Carolina House of Representatives.
- Successfully defended utilities, healthcare companies, financial services providers, telecommunications providers, and insurance companies in class actions, defeating class certification in some cases and achieving dismissal in others.