Debbie Harden has more than 30 years of experience as a strategic business litigator and trusted legal adviser. In addition to counseling on corporate, governance and fiduciary matters, Debbie has a broad-based litigation practice in state and federal courts including the specialized North Carolina Business Court. A Chambers USA-ranked commercial litigator with a Martindale AVranking, she was also selected for inclusion by Best Lawyers in America in the fields of Commercial Litigation, Banking and Finance Litigation, ERISA Litigation, Securities Litigation, Mergers and Acquisitions Litigation, and Trust and Estates Litigation. Debbie has been recognized as both the “ERISA Litigation Lawyer of the Year” and the “Trusts and Estates Lawyer of the Year” for Charlotte and is included in the North Carolina Super Lawyers.
As summarized by Chambers USA from client interviews, Debbie is a “tenacious and meticulous advocate” who is “acclaimed for her keen and committed client advocacy”; is “noted by clients for her effective courtroom demeanor”; and is “praised by clients for her efforts to understand their business and its needs.” (Chambers USA 2014 - 2017).
Debbie focuses on complex corporate and commercial litigation including fiduciary disputes, Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) cases, class action defense, derivative actions, securities litigation, antitrust disputes, insurance matters, and mediation and arbitration. In the class action area, Debbie has successfully defended clients in putative and certified actions involving ERISA, securities, banking, consumer finance, insurance, real estate, mortgage, antitrust and tax claims. With respect to fiduciary litigation, Debbie has obtained numerous defense verdicts and countless summary judgments for her clients.
Civic and Professional Activities
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association
- Georgia State Bar
- North Carolina Bar Association, Litigation Section
- American Bar Association
- Board and Finance Committee of the Children’s Theatre of Charlotte
- Board and Investment Committee of the Greater Cultural Trust
- Board of Managers of the Uptown YMCA, including service as Chairman
- Recipient of the Uptown YMCA Volunteer of the Year Award for 2005
- Governance Committee of Habitat for Humanity
Honors and Awards
- Chambers USA 2018 Ranked Lawyer, Litigation - General Commercial, North Carolina
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© in the fields of Commercial Litigation, Litigation - Banking and Finance, ERISA, Mergers & Acquisitions, Securities, Trusts and Estates, 2005-06 – Present
- Received the 2019 Best Lawyers™ ERISA Litigation "Lawyer of the Year" award in Charlotte, North Carolina
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Obtained summary judgment for Wells Fargo Bank, N.A. on claims of breach of fiduciary duty and fraud based on an alleged conflict of interest between trust services and commercial lending.
- Defended Duke Energy Corporation and its Board of Directors in federal securities litigation and derivative actions arising out of Duke’s merger with Progress Energy, as well as the company’s coal ash issues.
- Defeated class certification in putative class action alleging bait-and-switch tactics on the part of a mortgage broker.
- Represented Nationwide Insurance in defense of putative class action claims challenging its insurance practices.
- Serve as counsel for Americo Financial Life and Annuity Insurance Company, Investors Life Insurance Company of North America, and Americo Life, Inc. in annuity-based purported class action, where complete dismissal has been obtained. Plaintiffs have appealed to the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.