Ryan mainly focuses on transactional work for both public and private sector construction projects, acting on matters involving a mix of JCT, NEC and bespoke forms of contract. During his training contract with the firm, Ryan also gained experience in the transport and insurance sectors including a six month secondment to the London offices of AIG.
As a member of the Construction and Engineering Team, Ryan is a part of the Modern Methods of Construction sub-sector and produces the WBD Building Safety Bulletin to keep clients informed on events from across the UK.
Ryan is also a member of the Youth Board of The Common Room of the Great North, a unique heritage venue in Newcastle City Centre that provides education and engagement opportunities to the local community relating to the region's historic industrial past and future innovations.
Ryan is actively involved in working with the Social Mobility Foundation as a mentor to both A-Level and university students from disadvantaged backgrounds by encouraging and supporting their applications to further education and the legal profession.
Examples of experience include advising:
- the Department for Education in drafting construction contracts (including those based on JCT and NEC templates) and associated documents, including the management of the contractual framework process for various projects related to the construction / refurbishment of schools under the Free Schools programme
- Science Central/Newcastle City Council in assisting with contractual documentation for the enabling works required in advance of the development of the flagship Science City development
- Stadler Rail Service UK Limited on their successful bid for the £400 million Nexus Tyne and Wear Metro replacement stock and new depot project
- Grainger plc on matters relating to commercial and residential developments across the UK
- Sewell Group on education projects procured through the Hull Esteem LEP
- Guildford Borough Council on the construction of the new cycling and pedestrian Walnut Bridge
- Prosper Procurement on advice relating to the set-up and management of new procurement frameworks
- various funders in reviewing construction documentation as a part of correct due diligence exercises being carried out on commercial and residential developments.