John devotes his practice to zealously defending businesses in employment lawsuits, while helping them avoid litigation in the first place. John’s strong advocacy, sound legal analyses, practical advice and commitment to client service have allowed him to become a trusted advisor in many business sectors.
In addition, John handles business litigation involving employee raiding, theft of trade secrets, and breach of non-competition covenants. John advises businesses on employee privacy rights laws and data security, as well as on conducting effective internal investigations into misconduct and criminal acts in the workplace.
As a core part of his practice, John routinely defends companies in litigation involving discrimination and harassment claims under Title VII, the ADA, the ADEA and the FMLA; claims of wrongful termination and retaliation; claims under the NLRA; and individual and collective action claims for unpaid wages and overtime under the FLSA and state wage and hour laws. John regularly appears before state and federal administrative agencies and courts, both at the trial and appellate levels, and defends businesses in employment arbitrations.
John frequently speaks and writes on employment-related issues, and is the principal author of three Firm blogs: Fair Labor Standards Act; SEEmployment Law; and Non-Compete and Restrictive Covenants.
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Obtained a complete defense verdict in favor of a government agency in a week-long trial where a former employee alleged wrongful discharge and retaliation.
- Prevailed in securing the complete dismissal of a case against a health care institution brought by a former provider, and successfully defended the decision on appeal in both state and federal court.
- Obtained dismissal of breach of restrictive covenant case brought against a client’s employee in the financial services industry.
- Successfully enforced restrictive covenant and obtained recovery of confidential information for a health care sector client.
- Defends businesses in FLSA collective actions and wage and hour matters in state and federal courts in multiple sectors, including health care, financial services, retail and manufacturing.