Jason Hicks finds solutions to his client’s problems. In addition to helping clients navigate day-to-day business disputes, Jason also has significant experience in more complex matters involving antitrust law, fraud, intellectual property, trade secrets, business torts, franchise law, industry specific trade regulations, RICO claims, the Lanham Act and constitutional law.
Jason has successfully litigated cases to jury trials in state and federal courts across the country, as well as appearances before administrative agencies and ADR tribunals.
Jason’s work often has an international component, such as his case in the North Carolina Business Court between two Italian furniture companies relating to their failed factory in China; the $3.8 million federal jury verdict he obtained for an Afghan trucking company for subcontract work for the US Army; or his more routine advice to businesses regarding US and international competition law.
Closer to home, Jason appears in state and federal courts in Virginia, including the Eastern District of Virginia’s “rocket docket” and the Western District of Virginia, where Jason served as a law clerk. Jason is the founding and managing partner of Womble Bond Dickinson’s Charlottesville office.
- To What Extend Can You Use Errata Sheets To Correct Testimony Under Rule 30(E)?, AMERICAN BAR ASSOCIATION TRIAL TECHNIQUES COMMITTEE NEWSLETTER (Fall 2016).
- Various articles published in e-Competition Review 2011-2014.
- Antitrust and Competition Review 2013, FINANCIER WORLDWIDE (July 2013).
- Antitrust Risks in E-Commerce Distribution, STRAFFORD (November 2012).
- US Antitrust Policy Enters A New Phase, FINANCIER WORLDWIDE (November 2009) (Co-Author).
- Judicial Empathy, Daily Progress (May 26, 2009).
- Maryland Law Counters High Court’s ’07 Price Ruling, MARYLAND’S DAILY RECORD (June 18, 2009) (Co-Author).
- Associate, Troutman Sanders, Richmond, VA, 2003-2004
- Summer Associate, Frith Anderson & Peake, Roanoke, VA, 2000
- Summer Associate, McGuire Woods, Charlotte, NC, 1999
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Advise clients on antitrust matters and defend companies in antitrust litigation across the country, including claims of monopolization, conspiracy to restrain trade, tying, exclusive dealing, price fixing, bundled discounts and price discrimination.
- Frequently represent real estate developers or contractors with respect to disputes involving construction projects across the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Successfully defended developer of mixed-use shopping center in a dispute involving storm water discharge in a week-long trial in Charlottesville and appeal before the Virginia Supreme Court.
- Represented several clients in disputes involving revenue share agreements for telecommunication services, including obtaining a multi-million dollar award for a client against a major telecommunications company after a week-long arbitration proceeding.
- Obtained hundreds of millions of dollars in refunds and future reductions in assessments imposed on a manufacturing client by the USDA in an administrative appeal.