Trademarks and copyrights are a business’s identity, and for more than 15 years, many companies have turned to Laura Kees to protect and manage their domestic and global trademarks and copyrights.
Laura concentrates her practice on managing trademark and copyright portfolios; counseling clients on risks associated with proposed names and marks; evaluating when applications for domestic and/or international registration should be filed and advising how and when to maintain those registrations.
Laura works with a variety of large portfolio clients and utilizes an international network of IP attorneys to ensure that those clients’ trademark and copyright assets are adequately protected through registration in jurisdictions in which the client does, or anticipates doing, business.
Her experience also includes creating brand usage programs and reviewing sweepstakes and other promotions, including proper use of trademarks and conditions on sweepstakes prizes.
Laura is a Double Gator, having earned her law degree with IP Certification and bachelor’s degree in business administration from the University of Florida. She received one of the most prestigious honors awarded to University of Florida students when she was inducted into the university’s Hall of Fame.
Civic and Professional Activities
- Georgia Aquarium’s Next Wave Society
- Member, ChIPs (Chiefs in Intellectual Property)
- Member, Georgia Lawyers for the Arts
- Member, International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Online Reference Committee and Advertising Subcommittee, 2010-2013
- Public and Media Relations Committee, 2018-19
- Saul Lefkowitz Moot Court Competition, brief reading judge, 2012-2017; oral argument judge, 2010
- AIPLA Giles Sutherland Rich Moot Court Competition, Brief Reading Judge, 2017
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Trademark and copyright counsel to well-known international brands in numerous industries such as retail; food, snack and beverage; digital marketing; packaging; information security services; and online gaming.
- Handle trademark clearance and protection, trademark risk assessment, prosecution, maintenance and enforcement issues.
- Provide a broad range of copyright services including maintenance and audits of copyright portfolios, developing copyright protection strategies, drafting and recording copyright transfer and assignment documents, responding to the Copyright Office, and handling copyright disputes.
- Ensuring client’s compliance with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) safe harbor requirements and creating and managing DMCA programs.
- Experience with handled matters involving the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, international disputes, and the Uniform Dispute Resolution Policy.
- Provide overall intellectual property counseling, including education of internal marketing teams, developing and implementing intellectual property processes and best practices and advising on social media and internet issues.