Stephanie Smiertka Riley focuses her practice on corporate, commercial, and intellectual property litigation in all Delaware Courts, especially the United States District Court for the District of Delaware, Delaware Court of Chancery, and Delaware Superior Court. Her experience in complex commercial litigation extends to business disputes, including misappropriation of trade secrets, breaches of contract, tortious interference, consumer protection, and RICO claims. She also represents and advises large financial institutions in litigation and compliance with regulations. Stephanie also serves as Delaware counsel assisting outside counsel in intellectual property litigation, and has experience in patent, trademark, and copyright litigation in the District of Delaware.
Because of her vast array of experience, as Delaware lead or local counsel, Stephanie offers a unique perspective on litigation strategy in addition to her knowledge of Delaware practice and procedures. After law school, Stephanie served as judicial clerk for several Delaware state court judges, which laid the foundation for Stephanie’s familiarity with Delaware best practices.
In addition to litigating disputes, Stephanie advises companies and individuals on best practices to avoid litigation and assists with drafting contracts. From her experience in advising companies on whether to initiate or defend litigation, she is able to identify and prioritize a business’s big picture goals.
Stephanie is involved in the Delaware community. She serves on the Board of Directors for the Delaware Children’s Museum. In addition to that role, she serves on the Development Committee for the Delaware Combined Campaign for Justice which provides life-changing legal services for Delawareans in need. Stephanie is also passionate about representing survivors of domestic violence pro bono in the Delaware courts.
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Secured a permanent injunction for client in an expedited trade secrets litigation in the Delaware Court of Chancery
- Served as Delaware counsel in expedited breach of contract case in Delaware Court of Chancery
- Won dismissal at motion for summary judgment in case involving tortious interference with contract and RICO claims at motion for summary judgment in Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- Served as Delaware counsel in several intellectual property litigations in the United States District Court for the District of Delaware
Professional and Civic Activities
- Affinity Group Co-Chair for NAWL Moms, National Association of Women Lawyers
- Secretary, Board of Directors, Delaware Children’s Museum
- Vice Chair, Patent Legislation Committee, American Bar Association, Intellectual Property Section
- Development Committee, Delaware Combined Campaign for Justice
- Member, The Richard S. Rodney American Inn of Court
- Member, Delaware State Bar Association
- Delaware Women and the Law Section
- Delaware Litigation Section
- Panel Member, American Bar Association, “Counseling Clients on Mandatory Disclosures in IP Litigation, April 2023
- Panel Member, Greater Philadelphia ACC Women’s Summit, “Preparing for and Embracing Changing Legal Careers,” March 2023
- Author, "A Guide to Disclosures in Delaware Patent Litigation in the Face of Pending Federal Circuit Review," IP Watchdog, November 20, 2022
- Panel Member, The Winding Road: Navigating Different Pathways Through Life and Career, National Association of Women Lawyers Annual Meeting, Chicago, July 2022
- Speaker, The Impact of Remote Working on DEI, Centerforce Driving Diversity in the Law Conference, New York City, May 2022
- Panel Member, Cultivating Allies for Change, Centerforce Driving Diversity in the Law Conference, New York City, May 2022
- Panel Member, Contract Drafting: Tales from Litigation Past CLE, Association of Corporate Counsel Conference, Philadelphia, May 2022
- Panel Member, Recent Developments in Trade Secret Law, Association of Corporate Counsel CLE, March 2022
- Panel Member, Networking & Sponsorship: Strategies for Success, Centerforce Women in Law Inclusion and Equity Summit Northeast, November 2021
- Author, “Counseling Clients on What Constitutes Exceptionality in Patent Litigation: A View from Delaware,” IP Watchdog, October 12, 2021
- Author, “Adapting to a New Life: The slow learning curve of working and parenting during COVID,” Delaware Lawyer, Fall 2020
- Panel Member, “The Delaware Way,” DSBA Women and the Law Retreat, February 2020
- Author, “Advocacy and Credibility,” Trial Magazine, Vol. 54, No. 1, January 2018
Honors & Awards
- Recognized in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America (BL Rankings) in the field of Commercial Litigation, 2021 - Present
- Inclusion in Top Lawyers, Commercial Litigation, Delaware Today, 2021