Richard Cockburn is a partner in our energy and natural resources group. He is dual-qualified in Scotland and England & Wales. He has practised in the City of London, Brussels and Scotland.
Richard has worked with developers and contractors in the renewable energy sector on projects ranging from onshore and offshore windfarms to renewable heat, solar, wave, tidal and other projects. He also has significant oil and gas experience spanning the spectrum of industry activity from upstream to midstream and downstream operations and the supply chain. He has spent time on secondment at Marathon Oil. His track record includes experience of carbon capture and storage projects in the North Sea.
In addition to being an energy and natural resources lawyer and a commercial lawyer, Richard has a specialism in competition law.
Indicative examples of UK and international experience:
- Chrysaor in its acquisition of a Shell North Sea oil and gas portfolio in a deal valued in excess of USD 3 billion
- Tekmar Energy on a range of supply arrangements to offshore renewables and oil & gas projects worldwide
- EQT on the sale of the Tampnet group, the owner and operator of the world's largest offshore fibre-backed communication infrastructure network, to 3i Infrastructure plc and ATP;
- Survitec on the supply of life-saving equipment to a range of offshore energy projects
- The UK government on all legal aspects of its operation of a temporary management scheme for the Iranian Oil Company's North Sea assets
- Babcock Mission Critical Services Offshore on helicopter supply arrangements
- Total E&P UK on a range of North Sea projects including Laggan-Tormore, the Shetland Gas Plant, the Shetland Islands Regional Gas Export System (SIRGES), Elgin-Franklin and St Fergus
- Bridon-Bekaert on the supply of rope solutions to offshore energy projects internationally
- Endeavour Energy UK on a spectrum of UK North Sea matters including activities in respect of Alba, Bacchus, Rochelle, Enoch, Ivanhoe, Rob Roy, Renee/Rubie and Goldeneye – varying from operational matters to decommissioning and a carbon capture and storage project
- Tampnet on the purchase of a North Sea communications network from BP
- Shell, on behalf of the Great Britain oil and gas industry, in applying successfully to the European Commission for exemption of the GB oil and gas industry from application of the EU procurement rules
- PX Group on its assumption of operator duties at the St Fergus terminal and related infrastructure following its acquisition by North Sea Midstream Partners from Total E&P UK;
- Petrofac on a range of contractual issues including in respect of a Floating Production Storage and Offloading unit
- Schlumberger on a country review regulatory project in respect of oil and gas activities in Morocco
- Scottish Power Renewables on the use of an oil and gas joint venture model for a major offshore wind farm project (West of Duddon Sands Round 2 project)
- Vattenfall, Aberdeen Renewable Energy Group and the Scottish European Green Energy Centre on the European Offshore Wind Deployment Centre in Aberdeen Bay
- Numerous clients including e.g. Total E&P UK, Oil and Gas UK, Wood and Scottish Power on competition law compliance and on dawn raid guidance.
"Switched on and service-minded"
"A highly adept practitioner in the energy and utilities sectors."
"Commercial in his approach and easy to work with."
"Clients praise Richard Cockburn's 'sector knowledge and advice across the market'"
"[Richard]has a strong understanding of the exploration and production industry"