- Consumer law
- International trade requirements
- Advertising and marketing
- Food and drink regulation
- Non-food product compliance regulation
- Numerous retail, manufacturing, transport and education sector clients on the impact of changes to consumer protection legislation, and has advised on Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations since their inception, as well as tracking the Consumer Contract Regulations and the Consumer Rights Act's progress for some years prior to their being implemented. She has extensively advised on the approach taken by the CMA in their guidance on consumer protection legislation prior to the Act coming into force as well as the CMA's activity in various sectors since that time.
- Food manufacturers, retailers and the wider UK hospitality industry on compliance with food labelling, packaging and other requirements, including labelling and declaration of allergenic ingredients, and on novel food law requirements. This includes advice on due diligence policies and procedures to be followed.
- Manufacturers on trade restrictions and sanctions in force in relation to particular jurisdictions, including Russia, Iran, and North Korea and on the applicability and requirements of the EU Rules of Origin.
- Manufacturers and retailers on potential product recall issues, including carrying out risk analysis to enable the client to decide on the most appropriate course of action, and whether to withdraw or recall products. This includes drafting of recall notices, and notification letters as well as advising on PR strategies and the use of social media, to minimise reputational/brand damage as a result of the recall.
She advised Channel 4's Dispatches programme on its documentaries on low-fat food claims and food pricing issues, as well as being asked to contribute to The Times food law section, demonstrating her reputation in this area.
She has also provided advertising and marketing advice and guidance to PLC's online resource.
Chambers Guide to the UK Legal Profession 2015 identifies Nicky as a notable practitioner for food/product liability law in the UK.
"She offers advice on various regulatory and marketing questions. A client lauded her ability to offer "robust advice that made us feel like we were dealing with people with expertise."
Chambers Guide 2015
"Her advice is to the point and very commercially oriented."