Drawing on his experience in the US Justice Department and the Federal Communications Commission, Marty Stern is a trusted advisor to his clients on regulatory, policy and commercial matters across the communications, technology and media sectors. Marty leads the firm’s Communications, Technology & Media team, and is a creative, solutions-oriented problem solver, known for his relentless pursuit of positive outcomes for his clients.
Marty represents providers as well as enterprises and technology firms that are large users of communications-related services. His clients include broadband providers and network operators, mobile satellite broadband and wireless providers, spectrum owners, video programmers, consumer electronics and technology firms. He also advises major electric utilities on telecom-related and telemarketing matters.
Marty provides counsel to clients throughout the sector on thorny compliance-related matters. He has handled and resolved numerous investigations before the FCC’s Enforcement Bureau, advises clients on complex FCC equipment authorization matters, and advises companies on Telephone Consumer Protection Act compliance. He handles spectrum transactions, and assists providers on network deployment matters. He also represents both video programmers and distributors on regulatory and commercial matters. He has been a key advisor to companies and investors on the unique sector-related issues surrounding their M&A, financing and restructuring activities.
Marty is a member of the University of Rochester’s DC Regional Leadership Cabinet, the Simon Business School’s Alumni Advisory Council, and was Co-Chair of Rochester’s DC Regional Capital Campaign. Marty also has served as a Board member of ARCH Development Corp., a non-profit focused on the economic regeneration of DC’s Historic Anacostia community.
A frequent industry speaker, Marty is also a contributor to the firm’s TCPA Defense Force Blog.
Presentations and Publications
Mr. Stern frequently writes and speaks on competitive and economic issues involving telecommunications, Internet and broadband, as well as on antitrust and trade regulation, information technology policy, and litigation-related telecommunications matters. Please click here for a full list of Mr. Stern’s articles in the National Law Review.
- Co-Chair and Editor, ABA Telecom Antitrust Handbook (1st edition, 2005; 2nd edition, 2013), a comprehensive guide to antitrust considerations in telecom, broadband access, and video programming distribution
- Member, D.C. Network Leadership Cabinet, University of Rochester
- Member, Simon Advisory Council, Simon Business School
- Former Vice Chair, Communications and Digital Technology Industries Committee, American Bar Association, Antitrust Section
Honors and Awards
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America (BL Rankings), Communications Law, 2016 – Present
- Martindale-Hubbell, rated AV Preeminent
- Recipient, 2011 Alumni Service Award, Simon Business School
- Named to Smart CEO Magazine's 2011 Legal Elite
- Named to Law Dragon Magazine's “Lawdragon 500: New Stars, New Worlds” for work involving wireless-facility siting and undersea and terrestrial fiber-optic cable projects
- Described in Chambers USA as a “dedicated advocate who is relentless in his pursuit of positive outcomes”
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Represents a company holding a large portfolio of FCC spectrum licenses covering markets throughout the United States in numerous spectrum sale and lease transactions to critical infrastructure companies, such as electric utilities and railroads.
- Advises a major US company on Telephone Consumer Protection Act compliance risk and mitigation strategies across its calling and texting platforms and business units, including in connection with outsourced calling services and platform agreements, and the creation of a TCPA compliance program.
- Advises a major video programmer on compliance-related matters, including in connection with distribution and vendor agreements and negotiations, involving distribution via cable, satellite, and broadcast, as well as on online distribution platforms.
- Represented leading manufacturer of Wi-Fi routers in connection with the resolution of a complex FCC enforcement matter and negotiation of the associated consent decree involving the sale of its routers in the US, and the development of an employee training and compliance program.
- Has served as regulatory counsel to numerous complex financing transactions across the telecom and media sector, representing borrowers, lenders and investors, involving all types of financing vehicles, including equity and bond offerings, credit facilities, syndicated debt offerings, and mezzanine financing with equity components, and handles the unique telecom and media-related issues surrounding diligence activities and closing/regulatory approvals involving telecom and media companies. Has also served as special regulatory counsel for debtors and unsecured creditors’ committees, as well as stalking horses and other potential purchasers of Chapter 11 companies in the sector.
- Assists wireline and wireless providers with all aspects of network deployment, build–out and operations, including permitting and approvals, network and facilities agreements, and policy/regulatory initiatives necessary to get networks built.