"An incredible antitrust lawyer.” So says one of Mark’s clients or peers, according to the legal ranking organization, Chambers USA. In today’s vernacular, that’s about as high a compliment as one can get.
A little more than twenty years ago, Mark left the Federal Trade Commission and joined Womble Bond Dickinson. At that time, Womble had no antitrust practice in the healthcare sector; Mark essentially started one from scratch. Today, he represents most of the national health systems and many regional health systems in a variety of capacities. Mark regularly appears before federal and state antitrust enforcement agencies in securing clearance for mergers, joint ventures and other transactions. He has also served as counsel for health systems throughout the country in antitrust litigation involving managed care contracting, medical staff privileges, economic credentialing, physician recruitment practices, nurse salary determinations, and exclusive provider arrangements.
Mark served as the Chair of the North Carolina Bar Association Antitrust Section in 2001 and 2002. He has also held numerous leadership positions within the Antitrust Section of the American Bar Association and received recognition for his contributions to ABA publications on antitrust issues in healthcare.
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- US and the State of North Carolina v. The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Hosp. Auth. d/b/a Carolinas Healthcare System, Case No. 3:16-cv-00311, W.D.N.C., Charlotte Division (pending).
- DiCesare, et al v. The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Hosp. Auth. d/b/a Carolinas Healthcare System, Case No. 16 CVS 16404, NC Super. Ct. (pending).
- Sale of Trinity Medical Center in Augusta, Georgia, to University Health (2017).
- Acquisition of IU Health La Porte Hospital in La Porte, Indiana, and IU Health Starke Hospital in Knox, Indiana, by a joint venture between a Community Health Systems affiliate and Indiana University Health (2016).
- Acquisition of Forest Park Medical Center in Frisco, Texas, by HCA (2016).