Kim is a corporate attorney who advises and represents clients in connection with a variety of transactional matters. A significant portion of Kim’s practice includes the representation of institutional investors in reviewing, negotiating and drafting fund agreements, side letters and subscription documentation for investments in private equity, real estate, credit and hedge funds, both domestically and internationally. Kim also represents clients in connection with the transfer and sale of fund interests and general corporate matters, and she has experience representing fund sponsors in fund formation and operational matters.
Before joining the firm, Kim served as a Judicial Clerk for the Honorable R. Lanier Anderson, III, of the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit.
- Jon P. McClanahan & Kimberly Burke, Sharpening the Blunt Blue Pencil: Renewing the Reasons for Covenants Not To Compete in North Carolina, 90 N.C. L. REV. 1931 (2012).
- Denise E. Bonds, Shellie D. Ellis, Erin Weeks; Peter Lichstein, Kim Burke & Chris Posey, Patient Attitudes Toward Screening, N.C. MED. J., Jan./Feb. 2007, at 23
Civic and Professional Activities
- Golf Coach, Special Olympics Orange County, 2007-2011
- High School Youth Ministry Leader, Newman Catholic Student Center Parish, 2009-2012
- North Carolina Pro Bono Honor Society
Honors and Awards
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America’s Ones to Watch (BL Rankings) in the fields of Corporate Law and Real Estate Law, 2021
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Represented a real estate fund in connection with the formation, offering of interests in and operation of a fund with over $200 million in investor commitments from US and foreign investors.
- Since 2015, have represented a large private foundation in connection with investments totaling over $400 million in private equity, real estate, credit strategy and other private investment fund transactions.
- Represented a large private foundation in negotiating the transfers of fund interests with over 100 investment managers, including both US and foreign managers, in connection with an internal restructuring.
- Since 2013, have represented a large institutional investor in connection with investments totaling over $5 billion made through various customized separate accounts, fund-of-one and commingled fund transactions in private equity, real estate and credit asset classes.
- Kim’s recent pro bono work includes counseling individuals about eligibility for expunction under North Carolina law and representing an individual client with petitions for expunction in multiple jurisdictions.