Karen specialises in tax and accountancy professional indemnity litigation, contentious tax and contentious trust and probate cases.
She has a national reputation in her fields and has been recognised by the tax profession at the Lexis Nexis Taxation Awards on several occasions. Karen is a Chartered Tax Advisor as well as an experienced professional indemnity and litigation solicitor. Karen is an advocate of alternative dispute resolution, is an effective negotiator of disputes and has a wealth of experience and success at mediation. She is able to use her unique combination of skills to resolve a variety of tax/accountancy and insurance related matters in a cost effective and efficient manner.
Karen is noted as a Leader in Tax in the International Global Review of Women in Tax 2015.
- Acted for professional indemnity Insurer and their accountant Insured in defence of a claim relating to failed tax planning for the insured’s client in group litigation. Successfully achieved the withdrawal of the claim against the Insured at a preliminary stage, avoiding lengthy proceedings
- Acted for professional indemnity Insurer and their solicitor Insured in defence of a claim made in excess of £5m relating to complex inheritance tax planning, successfully resolved at mediation for a far lesser sum, Karen’s technical knowledge being used to minimise the liabilities
- Acted for professional indemnity Insurer and their solicitor Insured in defence of a claim relating to estate administration – involving disclosure to HMRC of offshore tax issues.
- Acted for Charity in successful defence of an Inheritance Act claim by a deceased’s former partner
- Acted for taxpayer in resolving HMRC challenge to taxpayer’s claim for tax relief on expenses incurred in business and on directors’ loans.
“Karen Eckstein is dual-qualified as a chartered tax adviser as well as a solicitor and focuses on claims with a tax element to them. Impressed clients call her "one of the best" for her expertise in that area."