Joe Tirone’s practice focuses on energy project and infrastructure development, mergers and acquisitions and project finance. Joe is the co-leader of Womble Bond Dickinson’s Energy & Natural Resources Sector.
Joe’s client work comprises structuring, negotiating and drafting a range of contracts and agreements for companies in the energy sector, including complex power purchase agreements, tolling agreements, engineering, procurement and construction contracts, long-term service agreements, energy-related hedging arrangements, project financing and security documents, and energy and infrastructure sector M&A agreements. He also advises retail electricity and gas suppliers on many commercial and regulatory aspects of their businesses. He advises clients in the United States and throughout the world.
Joe has spent over 20 years in private practice and also served as Vice President and Assistant General Counsel to Cogentrix, an independent power producer that developed, constructed, financed and operated power generating assets.
- Board Member, Business Network for Offshore Wind
- Member, Association of International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN)
- Member, Energy Bar Association (EBA)
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Developers and operators of renewable, hydroelectric, natural gas and coal-fired generation and cogeneration facilities throughout the United States and globally with respect to all aspects of project development, fuel supply and transportation, transmission, power and thermal energy sales and tolling, construction, operation, maintenance and project finance.
- Private equity fund in connection with the provision of two US $100 million mezzanine financing facilities in support of the acquisition, development and construction of two large combined-cycle natural gas-fired electric generation facilities.
- Developer in connection with the development and finance of a portfolio of up to 10 biofuel production facilities, including the negotiation of project documents with respect to the facilities’ offtake, feedstock, technology licensing, construction, operation and financing.
- Seller in the auction and sale of 10 district energy heating and cooling companies in six states as leader of a team representing 238 MW of combined electricity generating 10 million pounds of steam and 72,800 tons of chilled water, with a purchase price in excess of US $400 million.
- Integrated global energy company regarding the long-term service and maintenance program with the original equipment manufacturer for the largest worldwide fleet of such manufacturer’s natural gas fired combustion turbines.