John counsels and represents clients in patent litigation related to chemical, biotechnology, medical device, and pharmaceutical matters and has significant experience in Abbreviated New Drug Application (ANDA) cases, including pre-litigation investigations.
John has extensive experience related to discovery and motion practice, as well as in developing both offensive and defensive strategies. He particularly enjoys dealing with complex subject matter and technical witnesses (inventors and experts), and counseling clients regarding litigation procedures and strategies. John has dealt with subject matter ranging from brain chemistry, the gastrointestinal system, and drug delivery systems to medical diagnostic methods, the generation of biofuel using bacteria, and processes for manufacturing chemicals and pharmaceutical products.
John is a member of the Georgia bar and licensed to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office. With deep knowledge of both patent litigation and patent prosecution, John particularly likes counseling clients regarding their worldwide intellectual property rights and strategies. As a part of that, John has worked with foreign pharmaceutical, chemical, and biotechnology companies throughout his career and has become adept at navigating the crossroads of foreign business practices and the complexities of US patent practice.
Presentations and Publications
- Sections 101 and 112: Eligibility, Patentability, or Somewhere in Between? IP Watchdog, March 22, 2017
- A Brief History of Supreme Court Interest in Patent-Eligible Subject Matter Under 35 U.S.C. § 101, Cox. J.W., Vandergrift, J.L., 2014, University of Florida Journal of Technology Law and Policy.
- Decision May Spur Innovation, Put Other Firms' Patents at Risk, Specialty Pharmacy News, July 2013; quotations.
- Scalia Won't Sign Off On DNA Science In gene Ruling, Law360, June 13, 2013; quotations.
- Attorneys React To High Court's Gene Patent Ruling, Law360, June 13, 2013; quotations.
- The Supreme Court is Paying Attention to Patent Law Again, Cox, J.W., Vandergrift, J.L., Law360, April 1, 2013.
- Biotech Patent Case Law Updates at the IPCC, May 1, 2012, available at biotech-now.org.
- Kinetic Analysis of the Stepwise Formation of a Long-range DNA Interstrand Cross-link by a Dinuclear Platinum Antitumor Complex: Evidence for Aquated Intermediates and Formation of Both Kinetically and Thermodynamically Controlled Conformers. Cox, J.W., et al., J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2001,123 (7), 1316-1326.
- 2015 Atlanta IP SpringPosium, April 2015; moderated of legislative developments discussion.
- 2013 BIO IP Counsels Committee Conference, March, 2013; seminar directed to inequitable conduct case law.
- 2012 BIO IP Counsels Committee Conference, April, 2012; moderator of case law discussion.
- Dissertation Research Presentation, Virginia Commonwealth University, March, 2000. Seminar: The Study of Interactions between Multinuclear Platinum Complexes and DNA with a Focus on Ligands, Linker Groups, and Kinetics: A Molecular Modeling and NMR Study.
- Registered Patent Attorney, United States Patent and Trademark Office
- American Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- American Chemical Society and Georgia BIO
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Represented a leading foreign pharmaceutical company in district court patent litigations related to gastrointestinal and urinary tract treatments.
- Represented the world’s largest veterinary health company in district court patent litigation and related contempt proceedings.
- Counseled a leader in the biofuel industry in a complex trade secret matter, including regarding misappropriation of trade secrets related to the bacterial production of biofuel.
- Represented one of the world’s largest biotechnology companies in district court patent litigation related to medical diagnostics.
- Represented a leading Japanese pharmaceutical company in pre-litigation and ANDA litigation matters related to CNS-active pharmaceuticals, including schizophrenia medications.
- Advised a foreign molecular diagnostic company in patent litigation and related mediation, and counseled this company regarding post-grant Patent Office procedures.