John Morrow currently chairs Womble Bond Dickinson’s US Intellectual Property Litigation Group. For more than two decades, John’s practice has focused on complex disputes involving patent infringement, trademark and trade dress infringement, unfair competition, copyright infringement, trade secret misappropriation, false advertising, antitrust, and cybersecurity (data breaches). John has served as lead trial counsel in state or federal courts sitting in North Carolina, Nevada, Texas, Wyoming, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Wisconsin, Massachusetts, Ohio, New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Georgia, South Carolina, Utah, Tennessee and Virginia.
John also helps clients investigate and respond to data breach and cybersecurity incidents, and respond to related governmental investigations. John has advised clients on regulatory and legality matters relating to video games and sweepstakes systems. John’s patent litigation experience includes computer sweepstakes software, transit peptides, carpet tufting machinery, printing and foiling technology, catalytic converters, dye tubes, firearms, furniture designs, apparel construction and manufacturing, radio frequency components, and various other mechanical and electrical engineering technologies. His copyright litigation experience includes computer software, video games, wild game mannequins, children’s books, clothing designs, photography, musical compilations and architecture.
He is ranked as one of the WTR 1000 – The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals and in The Best Lawyers in America.
- North Carolina State Bar
- North Carolina Bar Association, Former Section Council of the Intellectual Property Committee of the Sports & Entertainment Law Section
- Forsyth County Bar Association, 21st Judicial District
- Former Vice President, Forsyth County Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division; Federal Circuit Bar Association
Honors and Awards
- Chambers USA 2020 Ranked Lawyer, Intellectual Property, North Carolina
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America (BL Rankings) in the fields of Copyright Law, Litigation – Intellectual Property, Litigation – Patent, Trade Secrets Law, 2014 – Present
- World Trademark Review 1000 – The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals, 2020
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Represented a carpet tufting machine manufacture as the plaintiff in a vigorously contested patent infringement case filed against its primary competitor. John’s client won summary judgment of patent infringement and validity, supported by a thorough 107-page opinion from the district court judge.
- Represented a large automotive parts manufacturer as the plaintiff in a patent infringement case against large competitor. After a two week trial and while the jury was deliberating for a second day, the case settled on favorable terms.
- Represented a hospital in defense of a thirteen count complaint in which the plaintiff sought more than $100,000,000 in trebled damages for alleged HCQIA violations. John’s client won summary judgment resulting in dismissal of all of the plaintiff’s claims.
- Represented a major manufacturer of radio frequency components in pursuit of trade secret misappropriation claims against former employees and a competing business formed by those employees. Worked with the FBI and United States Attorney’s office in connection with related claims for criminal trade secret misappropriation. Those claims resulted in a plea agreement and six month prison term for one of the defendants, after which the civil case settled on favorable terms.
- Represented a major firearms manufacturer in defense of patent infringement claims filed by one of its competitors. John’s client won summary judgment invalidating the plaintiff’s patent.