John is a property lawyer specialising in public and private sector development projects. He advises clients on complex development agreements, acquisitions, disposals and overage arrangements and manages teams of property and cross-departmental lawyers on large-scale projects.
His wealth of private sector experience extends to acting for retailers, manufacturers, chemical companies and holiday companies in relation to a wide range of investment, relocation, land assembly and development projects.
In the public sector, he is one of the lead advisors to the Department for Education in relation to the real estate aspects of the UK Government’s free school programme, dealing with complex acquisitions and mixed use development projects, often to challenging timetables.
He also counts private developers, universities, further education colleges, property funds and energy providers in his wide-ranging client base.
Examples of experience include advising:
- Reece Group Limited in relation to its acquisition of, and relocation to, Armstrong Works;
- the purchaser of Hexham racecourse as a going concern;
- Department for Education and the Education Funding Agency in relation to the acquisition and development of new free schools, studio schools and University Technical Colleges, private developers and planning promoters in relation to the promotion and onward sale of strategic development sites to national housebuilders;
- Large household-name supermarkets in relation to a number of acquisitions and retail development projects;
- Universities and further education colleges in relation to the acquisition and development of new campuses, colleges and student accommodation;
- Energy providers in relation to the development of large-scale wind farm and bio-gas generation projects;
- Property funds and investors in relation to the acquisition of individual and portfolios of investment properties.
John has spent time during his time with the firm on secondment at the Education Funding Agency.
"He gets the job done in a meticulous fashion. He is someone who will question an issue when needed and very much looks at a problem with a view to finding the best solution."
“Associate to watch.”
“Acclaimed as a practitioner who is universally found by people who deal with him to be very constructive and very pragmatic”