James has over seven years' experience advising clients in relation to contentious, transactional and advisory Planning & Infrastructure matters.
James specialises in Town and Country Planning law together with ancillary areas including judicial review, highways, compulsory purchase and property development contracts.
He acts for a wide range of clients – including national housebuilders and other developers, land promoters, funders and local authorities - across various sectors such as residential, student accommodation, retail, minerals & waste and urban regeneration projects.
James's practice includes drafting and negotiating complex planning obligations, and advising on planning appeals, statutory challenges, enforcement and planning application strategy.
- Advising Hargreaves Services plc in relation to a successful planning appeal to secure consent for the Field House Farm surface mine scheme to extract 600,000 tonnes of coal and fireclay
- Providing strategic planning advice and drafting planning agreements for Scarborough Group's £1bn mixed use redevelopment of Middlewood Locks in Salford, including 900,000 sq ft of commercial and mixed use development as well as 2,215 new homes
- Advising the London Borough of Bexley in respect of the determination of several major applications, including for the Howbury Park proposed Strategic Rail Freight Interchange and the Abbey Wood & South Thamesmead Housing Zone to deliver over 1,200 homes
- Acting for numerous national housebuilders in respect of residential schemes of all sizes, including advising on planning applications, supporting agreements, planning appeals and enforcement
- Advising Persimmon Homes Yorkshire on the resistance of four separate applications for judicial review of its 665-unit Germany Beck development in Fulford, York - including litigation in the High Court and Court of Appeal.
"Associate James Garbett advises on both contentious and non-contentious matters and assists clients in the private and public sectors. He impresses clients with his work ethic, with one enthusing: 'He has been exceptional in the advice he has provided and the vigour in the approach to the challenges we have faced'."