Hunter is a dirt lawyer that utilizes a practical approach to solving the complex legal issues his developer, corporate end user, financial institution, and individual property owner clients encounter across a variety of commercial real estate transactions. With an extensive background in analyzing real estate due diligence matters, including curing intricate title issues, Hunter takes a unique approach when negotiating transactions that focuses on creating efficient and prospective solutions to address potential pitfalls for his clients.
Hunter’s practice spans a range of real estate sectors, including multifamily developments, mixed-use projects, industrial and office park developments, condominiums, and energy projects. He regularly counsels his clients in the areas of contract negotiations, due diligence, commercial leasing for big-box and multitenant retail, industrial and office sectors, documenting and planning for real estate developments, real estate closings, and obtaining permanent financing solutions. Hunter has significant experience in managing and coordinating large-scale, time-compressed national due diligence projects involving vast numbers of industrial and retail properties. He also works with borrowers and institutional lenders in documenting various financing transactions, including construction loans, secured financings, SBA loans, and HUD Section 221 (d)(4) loans.
Hunter currently serves on the board of directors for the North Carolina Real Estate Lawyers Association of North Carolina (RELANC) and is a past chair of RELANC. He regularly acts as appellate counsel for the North Carolina Guardian ad Litem Program by advocating for the best interests of abused and neglected children.
Publications and Presentations
- The Guide for Future Preservation in Historic Districts Using a Creative Approach: Charleston, South Carolina's Contextual Approach to Historic Preservation. University of Florida Journal of Law and Public Policy, Volume 20.2
- "Drones Fly Over Trespass, Nuisance, Privacy and Data Security Issues: What you Need to Know," 32nd Annual American Bar Association Real Property, Trusts and Estates National CLE Conference, May 2020
Civic and Professional Activities
- Real Estate Lawyers Association of North Carolina, 2011- Present
- South Mecklenburg County Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Real Property Section
- American Bar Association
Honors and Awards
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America (BL Rankings), Land Use and Zoning Law, Real Estate Law, 2020 – Present
- Selected to the North Carolina Rising Stars list by Super Lawyers (Thomson Reuters) in Real Estate, 2017 – 2019
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Represents a national motion picture theater chain in negotiation of anchor tenant leases as well as seat renovation lease amendments.
- Served as lead local real estate counsel in advising a national hydropower development and operating platform on all real estate aspects of its acquisition of four hydroelectric power plants and dams, which total 215 megawatts (MW) of generation and are expected to produce almost 800,000 megawatt-hours of clean electricity per year, along with approximately 25,000 acres of real estate in central North Carolina.
- Represents and counsels family real estate developer regarding all aspects of its commercial real estate portfolio, including contemporaneous development of multiple office and retail parks, purchase and sale transactions, and general development matters.
- Represented managed health care service provider in negotiating the lease for its approximately 93,000-square-foot corporate headquarters.
- Counseled multifamily projects developer in the acquisition and development of two multifamily facilities and one assisted-living facility that involved extensive utilities work.
- Represented national grocery store chain in negotiating multiple shopping center anchor tenant leases, which included extensive review and analysis of shopping center development plans.