Matt is a veteran government contracts lawyer with more than 20 years of private law firm and senior in-house law department experience. He represents commercial and defense contractors across a broad range of industries, with a particular emphasis on matters relating to the Federal Supply Schedule (FSS) program.
Matt’s experience spans the entire lifecycle of government contracting, including pre-contract market research and business development efforts, proposal responses, and contract negotiation with government customers and prime contractors. Matt frequently represents government contractors in bid protests challenging the award of government contracts before the Government Accountability Office and size protests and appeals to the SBA’s Office of Hearings and Appeals. In addition, he helps contractors to resolve post-award contract disputes with federal agencies, informally and through formal contract dispute proceedings before the Boards of Contract Appeals.
Matt also works with contractors to respond to government audits, investigations and civil False Claims Act proceedings, and to develop and implement compliance programs. He regularly works on government contractor mergers and acquisitions, including due diligence and negotiations and the post-close integration process. Matt has served as an expert witness on government contracts rules and requirements in litigation and arbitration proceedings.
Clients also turn to Matt for counseling and litigation support in a broad range of state and local government contracts matters, with a special focus on California, where he is licensed.
Presentations & Publications
- Co-author, Buy American Act Certificate, Practical Law, 2018
- Co-author, Buy American Act Common Non-Compliance Scenarios and Best Practices for Federal, 2018
- Co-author, Buying American Country of Origin Requirements in US Government Contracts, Practical Law, 2018
- Co-author, Trade Agreements Act Certificate, Practical Law, 2018
- Co-author, Trade Agreements Act Common Non-Compliance Scenarios and Best Practices for Federal Government Contractors Checklist, Practical Law, 2018
- Acquiring a Company With Government Contracts: A Checklist of Unique Issues, co-presented with Gary Campbell, Thompson Government Contracting webinar, August 22, 2018
- Service Contract Act Compliance and GSA/VA Schedule Nuances in 2017, NCMA World Congress, July 25, 2017
- Made in America? Country of Origin Requirements in Federal Government Contracts, Thompson Information Services, March 22, 2017
- Transactional Data Reporting (TDR): Now That the Rule Is Finally Here, What Should GSA Schedule Contractors Do? (co-presented with BDO USA), July 16, 2016
- High Risk Audit Areas in GSA Schedules: Issue Prevention, Detection and Remediation (co-presented with Dixon Hughes Goodman), June 8, 2016
Honors and Awards
Recommended in the 2017 edition of The Legal 500 United States
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Represented a Silicon Valley software company in connection with a Department of Justice investigation into allegations of non-compliance with pre-award and post-award pricing requirements under its Federal Supply Schedule contract.
- Represented a disappointed offeror in a bid protest proceeding hat reversed its exclusion from a Department of Health and Human Services procurement for leading-edge pharmaceutical products, later resulting in the company receiving award of a contract valued in excess of $400 million.
- Developed and implemented a comprehensive government contracts compliance program for an aircraft parts manufacturer that was facing allegations of product substitution and defective product testing, in connection with an administrative agreement that allowed the company to avoid a proposed debarment. Subsequently served as the Independent Monitor overseeing the company’s compliance the administrative agreement.
- Represented a Fortune 50 buyer in connection with a $70 million acquisition of a mid-sized technology-focused government contractor. Handled government contract due diligence efforts and post-close integration issues, including contract transfer, security clearance, data rights and cost-based contracting issues.