Wealth planning encompasses estate planning, estate and trust administration, and estate and trust controversy resolution and is a unique endeavor for every client. Embracing and understanding that principle is what energizes Liz Coss daily in her practice. Estate planning is more than simply assembling a set of documents to dispose of wealth or litigating through an issue that has erupted.
Estate planning is a holistic endeavor where clients and their advisers collaborate to construct an appropriate distribution plan. Liz’s focus on her clients and her collaborative approach to helping clients identify and implement their wealth transition goals are what enabled her to build the long-standing client relationships that she has enjoyed for more than 25 years. Liz’s goals are to advise and educate her clients to empower them with the critical knowledge to construct wellreasoned wealth disposition plans or resolve family wealth disputes.
Liz listens carefully to her clients, encouraging them to impart their goals, hopes and sometimes fears so that she can reflect that information in a wealth distribution game plan. Liz takes the same approach when clients face actual or potential litigation arising in the estate or trust administration environment, whether the client is a trustee, an executor or a beneficiary. Liz provides proactive guidance with the goal of keeping controversies from arising, and she helps clients navigate through controversies that have already arisen.
For Liz, wealth planning offers an opportunity to develop very personalized relationships with each of her clients.
Co-author, 1996 and 1997 Supplement to the North Carolina Probate Handbook
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Estate Planning and Fiduciary Law Section
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Advises multiple generations of families with wealth regarding accumulation and distribution issues and strategies to address and minimize the impact of wealth-transfer taxes.
- Advised clients whose wealth is invested in in closely held businesses regarding business succession plan and strategies to address and minimize the impact of wealth-transfer taxes.
- Advised trustees in the ongoing administration of trusts, modification and decant of trusts, and trust controversy resolution. Similarly, advised executors in the ongoing administration of estates and estate controversy resolution.
- Advised trust and estate beneficiaries on their rights and entitlements.