Dana Severance is a partner in the Delaware office of Womble Bond Dickinson. Dana represents domestic and international clients as lead counsel in patent infringement actions before U.S. district courts. She has extensive experience in the pharmaceutical field and, in particular, Hatch-Waxman litigation. Dana’s experience covers all aspects of pre-suit due diligence and litigation, including conducting initial case assessment, managing large scale e-discovery both in the United States and abroad, and participating in fact and expert discovery, settlement strategy and trial work.
In addition to her lead counsel work, Dana also provides local counsel services for out of state clients in intellectual property litigation before the U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware. Dana also practices before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
For over a decade Dana has served as a guardian ad litem for minor children in conjunction with the Office of the Child Advocate of the State of Delaware. Dana serves as co-chair of the firm’s IP content committee and co-chair of the firm’s litigation training program for associates.
In law school, Dana served as a Judicial Extern for Chief Magistrate Judge Mary Pat Thynge in the District of Delaware.
K. Cramer and D. Severance, Texas’ Loss is Delaware’s Gain: Navigating the Post-TC Heartland Landscape of Patent Litigation (May 22, 2017)
- Federal Bar Association
- Federal Circuit Bar Association
- Delaware State Bar Association
Honors and Awards
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America (BL Rankings), Litigation – Intellectual Property, 2019 – Present
- Named to 2020 IAM Patent 1000, Litigation, Intellectual Asset Management Magazine
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Part of litigation team representing an international pharmaceutical client in litigation involving declaratory judgment claims of non-infringement and invalidity. Successfully argued that the patents at issue were invalid under §§ 112 and 102(f). The trial, held in July 2020, was one of the first virtual trials in the nation and the first virtual trial in the SDNY.
- Part of litigation team for an international pharmaceutical client in litigation in SDNY involving claims for correction of inventorship. At trial in July 2019, the team successfully proved that the opposing party’s alleged inventor did not invent any of the subject matter claimed in two of our client’s patents.
- Part of litigation team for an international pharmaceutical client in an ANDA litigation involving the company’s peptide drug for treating prostate cancer.
- Part of litigation team for an international pharmaceutical company in multiple ANDA litigations regarding a colonoscopy preparation drug product. In June 2017, the court issued an opinion that the first filer’s proposed ANDA product infringed all asserted claims of the patents in suit. The subsequent cases were settled on favorable terms.
- Part of litigation team for a branded pharmaceutical company in multiple ANDA litigations regarding composition and method of use patents covering a drug used to treat ulcerative colitis.
- Delaware counsel in numerous intellectual property cases in federal district court.