Dana Severance is a patent litigator with particular experience in pharmaceutical patent infringement matters, such as Abbreviated New Drug Application (ANDA) disputes. She represents domestic and international clients as lead counsel in patent infringement actions before US district courts. She has extensive experience in the pharmaceutical field, with a special emphasis on ANDA litigation. Dana’s experience covers all aspects of pre-suit due diligence and litigation, including conducting initial case assessment, managing large scale ediscovery both in the United States and abroad, and participating in fact and expert discovery, settlement strategy and trial work.
In addition to her lead counsel work, Dana also provides local counsel services for out of state clients in patent litigation before the US District Court for the District of Delaware.
In addition to district court litigation, Dana has worked on post-grant proceedings, including inter partes review, in front of the Patent Trial and Appeal Board. Dana also practices before the US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
Dana serves as a guardian ad litem for minor children in conjunction with the Office of the Child Advocate of the State of Delaware.
In law school, Dana served as a Judicial Extern for Chief Magistrate Judge Mary Pat Thynge in the District of Delaware.
- Federal Bar Association
- Federal Circuit Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Delaware State Bar Association
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Part of the trial team representing Ferring Pharmaceuticals Inc. and Ferring International Center S.A., an international pharmaceutical company, in multiple ANDA litigations regarding Ferring’s Prepopik® drug product. In June 2017, the Court issued an opinion that the first filer’s proposed ANDA product infringed all asserted claims of the patents in suit.
- Part of the trial team representing Ferring in a declaratory judgment action seeking freedom to operate with respect to its NOCDURNA product, a desmopressin orally disintegrating tablet to treat nocturia is adults.
- Part of the trial team for a large brand-name pharmaceutical company in multiple ANDA litigations regarding composition and method of use patents covering a drug used to treat ulcerative colitis.
- Involved in an inter partes review of a method of use patent owned by a large brandname pharmaceutical company for one of the company’s ulcerative colitis drugs.
- Delaware counsel for multiple pharmaceutical companies.