Scott is a business-focused attorney who delivers practical solutions for his clients. Scott listens to his clients’ goals and starts with those in mind. A strategic thinker, he regularly works with private equity principals, business owners and management teams to help them chart efficient paths through transactions, commercial negotiations and board-level decisions.
Scott leads executives and deal teams on major transactions and advises businesses as general outside counsel on a daily basis. He has particular depth in technology-enabled business services, education, financial technology, engineering and other professional services. As a former management consultant in the payment systems industry, Scott also regularly works with Queen City FinTech and the Charlotte FinTech Hub.
- “Overview of the CARES Act's Paycheck Protection Loan Program”, National Law Review, March 30, 2020
- Legal Considerations for Alternative-Funding Vehicles, Charlotte Business Journal, January 23, 2009
- Comment: What Trust is in These Times? Examining the Foundation of Online Trust, 54 Emory Law Journal 1441 (2005)
- Identity Theft Notification Laws, Southeast Tech Wire, June 10, 2005
- Technology Comment: Certificate Access, Issuance are Pivots of Successful PKI, American Banker, August 31, 2000
Professional and Civic Activities
- North Carolina Pro Bono Honor Society
- Board of Directors, WFAE-90.7 Charlotte (2014-present)
- Board of Directors, Bright Blessings, Inc. (2010-present)
- Board of Directors, Regent Schools of the Carolinas, Inc. (2008-2013)
- Boy Scouts of America, Eagle Scout
Honors and Awards
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America (BL Rankings), Corporate Law, 2021
- Recognized by North Carolina Pro Bono Honor Society for pro bono work, 2016 – Present
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Counseled Frontier Capital, a leading US growth-capital firm, through over 25 investments, recapitalizations and divestitures.
- Led US environmental services consulting firm in multiple recapitalizations and bolt-on acquisitions nationally.
- Represented international travel wholesaler in numerous corporate recapitalizations.
- Represented international private equity fund in recapitalizing consumer products component manufacturer.
- Advised British private equity firm on acquisition and divestiture of portfolio company with significant US operational assets.