Scott is a business-focused attorney who delivers practical solutions for his clients. Scott listens to his clients’ goals and starts with those in mind. A strategic thinker, he regularly works with private equity principals, business owners and management teams to help them chart efficient paths through transactions, commercial negotiations and board-level decisions.
Scott leads executives and deal teams on major transactions and advises businesses as general outside counsel on a daily basis. He has particular depth in technology-enabled business services, education, financial technology, engineering and other professional services. As a former management consultant in the payment systems industry, Scott also regularly works with Queen City FinTech and the Charlotte FinTech Hub.
- Legal Considerations for Alternative-Funding Vehicles, Charlotte Business Journal, January 23, 2009
- Comment: What Trust is in These Times? Examining the Foundation of Online Trust, 54 Emory Law Journal 1441 (2005)
- Identity Theft Notification Laws, Southeast Tech Wire, June 10, 2005
- Technology Comment: Certificate Access, Issuance are Pivots of Successful PKI, American Banker, August 31, 2000
Professional and Civic Activities
- North Carolina Pro Bono Honor Society
- Board of Directors, WFAE-90.7 Charlotte (2014-present)
- Board of Directors, Bright Blessings, Inc. (2010-present)
- Board of Directors, Regent Schools of the Carolinas, Inc. (2008-2013)
- Boy Scouts of America, Eagle Scout
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Counseled Frontier Capital, a leading US growth-capital firm, through over 25 investments, recapitalizations and divestitures.
- Led US environmental services consulting firm in multiple recapitalizations and bolt-on acquisitions nationally.
- Represented international travel wholesaler in numerous corporate recapitalizations.
- Represented international private equity fund in recapitalizing consumer products component manufacturer.
- Advised British private equity firm on acquisition and divestiture of portfolio company with significant US operational assets.