Brent Powell has a wide-ranging business litigation practice, representing clients in industries such as commercial real estate, healthcare, manufacturing, financial services, pharmaceuticals, telecommunications and more. Brent has experience in virtually all forms of dispute resolution, including state and federal court litigation and domestic and international arbitration. Brent has litigated cases involving antitrust claims, unfair trade practices and business torts, employee non-competes, false advertising claims, class actions, breach of contract claims and insurance coverage disputes. Brent also has experience advising media outlets in First Amendment and newsgathering issues.
Brent is a NCDRC-certified Superior Court Mediator.
- In Brady v. NFL, Antitrust and Labor Law Collide Once Again, AUGUST 2011 ANTITRUST NEWS, published by the Antitrust & Trade Regulation Section of the North Carolina Bar Association.
- Federal Trade Commission Announces Major Changes to Disclosure Requirements Under Hart-Scott-Rodino Antitrust Improvements Act, with David B. Hamilton and Jacob Hansen, WCSR CLIENT ALERT (July 18, 2011).
- Supreme Court Rejects NFL's ‘Single Entity’ Argument, with David B. Hamilton, WCSR CLIENT ALERT (June 4, 2010).
- The ‘Single Entity’ Doctrine and Pooling of IP Licensing Rights: Perspectives on American Needle v. NFL, with David B. Hamilton, WCSR CLIENT ALERT (Jan. 20, 2010).
- Co-Author, Drafting the Complaint, New Appleman Insurance Law Practice Guide (2007).
- Author, Recent Legislation - Line-Item Veto, 37 Harvard Journal on Legislation 253 (2000).
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Won summary judgment for leading furniture manufacturer and retailer in false advertising litigation seeking over $80 million in damages and successfully defended ruling on appeal.
- Served as appellate counsel in securing reversal of significant damages award for commercial paving contractor and remand for a new trial on damages.
- Represented industrial coatings manufacturer and its individual employees in suit alleging violations of non-competition and non-solicitation agreements.
- Represented international mining company in ICC arbitration in Paris, France.
- Obtained reversal of contempt conviction for juror accused of improperly using cell phone during deliberations.