Brendan is an engineer. He utilizes his technical experience to benefit his clients because he understands both the needs of a business and the intentions of the inventors with whom he works. Brendan is able to effectively communicate with engineers and translate their vision into intellectual property that is robust and enforceable.
With a practice focused on patents relating to the mechanical and electromechanical arts, Brendan drafts patent applications, responds to office actions issued by the USPTO, and appeals decisions on behalf of his clients within the USPTO. He works closely with patent examiners to advance patent applications, he counsels clients in regards to patentability and drafts legal opinions on patent validity and non-infringement, and he advises clients on commercialization strategies. Additionally, Brendan conducts due diligence for clients considering acquiring or licensing technology.
Brendan chose to pursue a practice in patent law because he recognized the need for lawyers with technical knowledge who can communicate with inventors as peers while also advocating for their intellectual property rights. He enjoys guiding his clients from their initial concepts to concrete strategies for their intellectual property.
Brendan counsels clients in regard to patentability, and drafts legal opinions on patent validity and non-infringement, as well as advises clients on commercialization strategies. He conducts due diligence for clients considering acquiring or licensing technology.
- Patent Mentor, Brooklyn Law Incubator and Policy Clinic (BLIP)
- Certified Engineer Intern (EI) – Passed the NCEES Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) Exam
- Member, New York Intellectual Property Law Association
- Committee Member, Trademark Law and Practice Committee, New York Intellectual Property Law Association, 2012-2013
- Member, American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Wrote patent applications for 25+ companies with products ranging from exercise equipment to printing devices to augmented reality systems, including work for multinational medical device, consumer electronics, and packaging companies
- Advanced patent applications through the USPTO, securing clients’ intellectual property
- Advised clients on how to define and maximize the scope of protection for each patent application filing
- Navigated USPTO databases, uncovering prior art used to build clients’ patent strategy
- Evaluated competitor’s patent portfolio for potential purchase by large agricultural company