A member of the firm’s Education and School Law Team, Benita Jones has extensive experience providing legal support and counsel to educational institutions on a broad array of state and federal legal issues including Title IX, VII, Americans with Disabilities Act, constitutional law, contract law, tort law, policy development and governance, employment law, and student legal issues. She has worked collaboratively on litigation matters with the North Carolina Attorney General’s Office and attorneys from the UNC System Office.
Immediately prior to joining Womble Bond Dickinson, she served as the Assistant University Legal Counsel at NC Central University. In this role, she represented the University in administrative complaints before the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, and provided trainings to University administrators, faculty, and staff on a variety of legal and policy issues. In addition to her experience providing legal counsel in higher education, Benita has worked previously with a number of North Carolina school districts across the broad range of K-12 matters.
A North Carolina native, Benita completed a two-year fellowship in the education law program at the UNC Center for Civil Rights in 2011. As an Education Law Attorney-Fellow, she worked directly with client communities and education leaders to develop legal strategies, community education campaigns, and publications to promote equity of opportunity in school districts throughout the state.
Benita graduated magna cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa from Yale University before earning her Juris Doctorate from Georgetown University Law Center.
- Co-Presenter with John Pueschel, Shot Heard Around the World: The Impact of the COVID-19 Vaccine in the US Workplace. Womble Bond Dickinson's Everything from Everywhere Virtual Summit. January 29, 2021.
- Co-Presenter with Beth Tyner Jones and Rebecca Fleishman, Back to the Future…of Work in 2021. North Carolina College & University Professional Association for Human Resources Conference. Raleigh, NC, January 2021.
- A New Era in Title IX Compliance: Process, Fairness, and New Regulations Take Center Stage. National Association of College and University Attorneys Higher Ed Discrimination Law Conference. Seattle, WA, April 2019.
- Transitioning Students from High School to Higher Ed. Project LIFT: Law Institute for Teachers (sponsored by NCBA Education Law Section). North Carolina Center for the Advancement of Teaching. Cullowhee, NC, March 2019.
- Website Accessibility: Meeting Current Legal Requirements. North Carolina School Boards Association Fall Law Conference. Asheville, NC, October 14, 2016.
- FERPA 2.0 Student Data Privacy in the Digital Age. North Carolina School Boards Association Fall Law Conference. Asheville, NC, October 16, 2015.
- School Board Obligations Under Federal Law: Discrimination, Harassment, and Bullying. North Carolina School Boards Association Spring Law Conference. Raleigh, NC, April 17, 2015.
- Improving School Discipline Policies and Student Codes of Conduct. North Carolina School Boards Association Policy Conference. Atlantic Beach, NC, June 27, 2014.
- The Role of SROs at School: Creating a Workable Memorandum of Understanding with Local Law Enforcement Agencies. North Carolina School Boards Association Fall Law Conference. Asheville, NC, October 17, 2014.
- Education Law Updates: Current Issues in Equal Educational Opportunity, Student Discipline, and Special Education. NC Principal Fellows Program. Chapel Hill, NC, April 10, 2014.
- Legal and Ethical Issues. North Carolina Association of School Psychologists. Cary, NC, October 1, 2013. Winston-Salem, NC, October 20, 2015.
Professional and Civic Activities
- North Carolina Bar Association, Member, Present
- Education Law Section, Chair, 2016-2017; Vice-Chair, 2015-2016; Newsletter Co-Editor, 2013-2015; Leadership Council, 2012-2015
- Leadership Academy, 2013
- National Association of College and University Attorneys, Member
- UNC System Campus Security Committee, Member, 2018-2019
- Dress for Success, Triangle Affiliate, Image Coach and Volunteer
- Save the Children US Head Start, Board of Directors
- Wake County Smart Start, Board of Directors, 2016-2018