Bill Ragland is among the firm’s most experienced lead litigators and strategic advisors, helping businesses create strategies and solve problems involving intellectual property and other complex business disputes.
With over thirty years of experience, Bill has sound judgment, insight and proven skills in resolving, and avoiding, disputes involving assets that are among a business’ most important: its technology and its brand. Clients also trust Bill to resolve a wide -variety of complex business disputes of importance in the boardroom. With sharp focus on business goals and the end game, Bill designs, executes and manages all aspects and phases of complex disputes and related strategies. He is the attorney you want to lead your winning team.
Bill’s engagements often involve patents, trademarks, trade dress, trade secrets, licensing, technology development, copyrights, software implementation, performance and system integration, non-competition agreements, internet and e-commerce, false advertising, unfair competition, commercial contracts, corporate governance and shareholder disputes.
His clients include high technology, manufacturing, packaging, plastics, consumer products, retail and energy companies and financial institutions.
Bill is widely recognized as a leading attorney and strategist. For the past four consecutive years, The Best Lawyers in America has named Bill its “Lawyer of the Year” in the Atlanta market in numerous categories, including Technology Law, Patent Law, Copyright Law and Mergers & Acquisitions Litigation. Intellectual Asset Management magazine has also named him as one of the top IP strategists and patent professionals in the world, and he is recommended and listed by Chambers USA and Super Lawyers for Intellectual Property and Business Litigation.
Civic and Professional Activities
- Atlanta Bar Association
- President (2004 - 2005)
- First Vice President (2003-2004)
- Second Vice President (2002-2003)
- Secretary (2001-2002)
- Executive Committee Member (2001-2006)
- Board of Directors Member (1999-2006)
- Chair, Litigation Section (1998-1999)
- Co-Chair, Memorial Fund for families of victims of the March 11, 2005 Fulton County, Georgia Courthouse Shootings (2005-2006)
- Co-Chair, Lawyer Referral and Information Service (2002-2003)
- Chair (2001-2002) and Trustee (1997-2001), Continuing Legal Education Board of Trustees
- Chair, Pro Bono Committee
- Co-Chair, Sponsorship Committee
- Member, Community Outreach Committee.
- Intellectual Property Section, Co-Founder and Co-Chair (2007-2008)
- Atlanta Bar Foundation
- President (2010-2012)
- Secretary/Treasurer (2008-2010)
- Executive Committee Member (2008 - present)
- Chair, 25th Fundraising Campaign (2010-2013)
- Lifetime Fellow.
- State Bar of Georgia
- Board of Governors Member (2007 - present)
- Next Generation Courts Commission (2011-2013)
- Member, Intellectual Property Law Section
- Founding Member, Products Liability Section
- United States District Court and Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Atlanta Volunteer Lawyers Foundation, Past Board Director (2004 - 2005).
- Old War Horse Lawyers Club
- President (2012-2013)
- Board of Governors Member (2009 - present)
- Lawyers Club of Atlanta, Member
- Smithsonian National Board.
- Atlanta Youth Academy Foundation.
- Leadership Atlanta, Member of Class of 2007
- Atlanta City Council City Code Review Team, Past Member
Honors and Awards
- Chambers USA Ranked Lawyer, Intellectual Property and Commercial Litigation, Georgia, 2004 – Present
- Received the Best Lawyers® "Lawyer of the Year" Award in the fields of Technology Law (Atlanta), 2015; Copyright Law (Atlanta), 2016; Patent Law (Atlanta), 2018; Litigation – Mergers and Acquisitions (Atlanta), 2017, 2019, 2022
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America (BL Rankings) in the fields of Advertising Law, Arbitration, Commercial Litigation, Copyright Law, Litigation – Banking and Finance, Litigation – Intellectual Property, Litigation – Mergers and Acquisitions, Litigation – Patent, Patent Law, Privacy and Data Security Law, Technology Law, Trade Secrets Law, Trademark Law, 2005 – Present
- Super Lawyers Honoree, Business Litigation, Intellectual Property Litigation, Georgia Super Lawyers magazine (Thomson Reuters), 2004 – Present
- Leadership Award, the highest honor bestowed by the Atlanta Bar Association (2013). The Leadership Award is given to members "who inspire by their example, challenge by their deeds, and remind us all of our debt to our profession and our community."
- Named to Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) magazine's Strategy 250 – the World's Leading IP Strategists (2009 and 2010), Strategy 300 – the World's Leading IP Strategists (2013 and 2014), and Patent 1000, Litigation (2020)
- Named one of "Georgia's Legal Elite," a listing of the state's "most effective lawyers," for Intellectual Property and Business Litigation, selected by Georgia attorneys and published in Georgia Trend Magazine, 2004 – 2008 editions
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Achieved the highest rating in Martindale-Hubbell peer review service.
- Listed, Who's Who in Law and Accounting, Atlanta Business Chronicle, August 2004 and 2005
- Listed, Guide to Leading U.S. Litigation Lawyers, published by Legal Media Group Expert Guides, 2006 – 2007
- Committee of the Year Award, Atlanta Bar Association, for Lawyer Referral & Information Service, 2003 (William M. Ragland, Jr., Co-Chair)
- 2005 President's Cup and 2005 Award of Merit, State Bar of Georgia, awarded to Atlanta Bar Association for Best Overall Voluntary Bar Association (William M. Ragland, Jr., President)