Bill’s practice is centered on all aspects of commercial lending and commercial real estate. His work in each of these disciplines gives him a perspective that enables him to counsel clients creatively and effectively in each field.
His work for lenders in their loan originations is sharpened by his substantial experience in representing lenders in problem-loan transactions. He knows the issues that might be a significant problem in the event that a performing loan becomes nonperforming. He works with a lender to identify such issues and to navigate around them at the time of loan origination.
In his work for developers, his work for lenders enables him to identify issues that could be problematic in prospective financings. As a result of that experience representing lenders, he is able to assess what a lender would deem acceptable.
Clients praise him as one who “provides top-notch service” and who “follows through and stays on top of issues,” as noted in Chambers USA America’s Leading Lawyers.
Bill has been listed in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business for Real Estate or Real Estate Lending Law since 2012. Bill was selected as a 2017 Top Real Estate Lawyer by Charlotte Magazine and as the 2017 Charlotte Lawyer of the Year for Real Estate Law by The Best Lawyers in America.
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Represented a pharmaceutical company in its acquisition, development and financing of its facilities in Johnston County, NC, and in Research Triangle Park, NC
- Represented a company in loans in excess of $100 million from syndication of banks, secured by company assets throughout the Southeast.
- Represented a developer on an ongoing basis in its land development and leasing of over one million in office building square footage in Charlotte, NC, and Raleigh, NC.
- Represented a lending group in their loans (each over $100 million) to a hotel owner. The loans were secured by hotels in over 17 states.
- Represented life insurance companies and banks in loan workouts, receiverships and foreclosures of hotels, office buildings, and retail centers throughout North Carolina.
- Represented tenants in their leasing of large, single-tenant office buildings in Durham, NC, and Greensboro, NC.