With 20 years of experience litigating a broad range of complex business disputes, Victoria Bruno is known for being a responsive, organized and tenacious advocate for her clients. She has handled every stage of civil litigation through trial and appeal in state and federal court around the country, and regularly counsels clients on issues involving reputation management and corporate social responsibility.
Among Victoria’s clients are multinational companies in the financial services, insurance, insurance brokerage, and commercial lending industries. She has represented major US retailers, manufacturers, and insurers in a variety of business disputes involving breach of contract, fraud, professional malpractice, deceptive trade practices and discrimination.
Victoria also has represented numerous biosciences, food and beverage, pharmaceutical, professional services, real estate investment trust, and financial services companies in responding to reputational attacks by financial publications, NGOs, competitors and former employees/whistleblowers.
- Served as lead trial counsel for healthcare administrative services firm in $24MM contract and business fraud dispute involving numerous parties, non-parties, and the client’s other business interests in Maryland.
- Represented commercial tenant in bet-the-company TRO matter to lift stop-work order on $100MM development project in DC that put $1B in loans at risk.
- Defended major financial services company before the Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts, in an insurance dispute arising out of a deceptive trade practices class action, resulting in a favorable settlement.
- Defended leading food manufacturer before the Fourth Circuit in an insurance dispute arising out of a state wage-and-hour ERISA class action lawsuit, resulting in a favorable multi-million dollar settlement.
- Represented major U.S. clothing retailer in a worker health and safety class action lawsuit by employees of foreign manufacturers arising out of a building collapse in Bangladesh.
- Represented major construction company in a whistleblower case relating to a $200 million federal prison.
- Represented national hospital system in a RICO lawsuit challenging the "corporate campaign" activities of labor unions.
- Successfully defended top-five audit firm and several partners in an SEC investigation.
Professional & Civic Engagement
- New York State Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Co-author, "Navigating Reputational Harm in the Digital Age: Methods of Addressing Anonymous Negative Comments in Social Media", Bloomberg BNA Social Media Law & Policy Report, May 2014
- Co-author, "Navigating Defamation Issues in Social Media", The Social Media Monthly, June 2012
- "Managing Your Company’s Reputation in the Digital Age: Strategies to Address Negative and Anonymous Online Comments", Commercial Law Advisors Webinar, July and November 2014