Susan guides clients in handling environmental issues related to business and real estate transactions, particularly brownfields redevelopment, and regulatory compliance at the local, state and federal level. Her practice is rounded out by her representation of clients in environmental litigation involving a variety of issues including toxic torts, cost recovery, property damage, and administrative penalties.
For over 20 years, she has worked with clients on business and transactional matters involving environmental issues and helped clients perform due diligence, environmental audits, reporting, environmental training, negotiate contracts and resolve regulatory compliance matters. She represents clients in negotiations and agreements with regulatory agencies such as the North Carolina Department of Environmental Quality (formerly Department of Environment and Natural Resources) and the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (SCDHEC), handling such issues as RCRA, brownfields, USTs, dry cleaners, wastewater, and permitting. Her experience includes representation of companies in CERCLA (Superfund) matters, including internal investigations and negotiated settlement agreements with the EPA and SCDHEC. She has also served as defendants’ and plaintiffs’ counsel in environmental litigation matters ranging from complex mass toxic tort cases to leaking underground storage tank cases.
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Represented a major international social media company in negotiating a brownfield agreement (BFA) for a $900 million data center in Rutherford County, NC. The brownfield agreement was negotiated while construction was underway
- Counseled real estate developer on structuring complex transaction for property purchase involving multiple parties and brownfields redevelopment
- Advised client on due diligence and contract negotiation related to stock purchase sale of company with multiple locations across the country
- Co-lead counsel for Fortune 100 company in a complex federal jury trial related to the migration of hazardous substances, including PCBs, into surface water and groundwater, and related claims for property damage and lost profits. The case involved numerous fact witnesses, expert witnesses and documents spanning a 30-year period
- Advise lenders on environmental risks related to loans and foreclosure issues