Stephen is a partner specialising in commercial litigation. He leads the commercial litigation team in Bristol.
Stephen deals with complex, heavyweight disputes, based on giving clear, concise and commercial advice to our clients that adds real value to their businesses. He makes extensive use of ADR, mediation and creative fee structures (including the use of litigation funding, discounted Conditional Fee Agreements, ATE insurance and fixed fees) and sharing the litigation risk with our clients to set us apart from our competitors both nationally and in the City.
His experience includes supply chain disputes, IT disputes, breach of contract, D&O, stock and asset recovery, guarantee claims, fraud, misrepresentation, advice on directors duties, insolvency disputes, banking and FI litigation and shareholder claims.
- Post Office Limited in the reported case of Post Office v Castleton  EWHC 5 (QB) in which the court determined a former sub-postmaster was liable to account for shortfalls in post office accounts. This was relevant to Post Office's £800m IT system.
- A large public sector client that needed to make a £2billion strategic change to modernise its business model but was under the media spotlight and concerned about reputational and financial risk of Judicial Review. Stephen helped to deliver a risk management programme that successfully preserved reputation and avoided expensive litigation.
- An FMCG company in relation to a dispute over its product to a buyer which lead to business critical issues.
- Insurers and Insured in relation to D&O policies, coverage and claims.
- A large motor vehicle financier in successfully recovering a six figure shortfall under a guarantee when a large West Midlands dealer became insolvent.
- Barclays in the leading case (Barclays Bank v Harris) in the Etridge appeals, the seminal cases on undue influence
- An Icelandic bank which leant over £7million to facilitate the purchase of shares in a UK retailer which became involved in a dispute over a share pledge and alleged preference
- A nationwide supplier of consumer finance following the collapse of a sofa company entered into administration and the best way to protect its position
Stephen's team is top ranked by Chambers 2015 for litigation in the South West (Plymouth and surrounds).
"He is a tenacious and very able litigator with a sharp mind and strong negotiating skills."