Sarah is a 21st century lawyer with the foundations of a traditional trial attorney. She approaches today’s litigation and governmental investigations by leveraging technology and practical problem-solving skills in representing her clients in federal and state courts (including the North Carolina Business Court) and in governmental investigations.
She advises corporations, individuals and public entities in navigating complex business disputes and class actions and with regulatory compliance. Sarah provides day-to-day advice to clients in order to manage risks and resolve disputes, and when clients are under attack on multiple fronts, she is experienced at coordinating complex, multi-jurisdictional legal defense efforts. Her experience reflects the diverse and growing Charlotte economy, including the healthcare, energy, manufacturing, construction, and tech sectors.
Sarah also maintains an active education practice assisting education sector clients, including school boards, public charter schools, and colleges and universities in employment, student and policy matters. She regularly counsels clients on IDEA, Title IX, Clery and Section 504 compliance. She has represented clients before the North Carolina Office of Administrative Hearings, the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction and the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights. She advises public bodies on policy, procedural, governance and judicial functions, including the North Carolina Open Meetings Law and Public Records Act.
Sarah has been recognized as a Rising Star by North Carolina Super Lawyers and named to North Carolina Legal Elite.
Within the firm, Sarah serves on the firm’s Innovation Board and is the partner liaison for the Transatlantic Lawyer’s Network.
Presentations and Publications
- Author, Moving from Notebooks to Netbooks: Practical Legal Considerations When Adopting a Bring Your Own Technology Policy, AMERICAN SCHOOL BOARD JOURNAL (May 2013)
- Presenter, School Bus Drivers: Federal Rules on Drug Testing, Work Schedules, and Use of Cell Phones, North Carolina School Board Association School Law Academy (Mar. 2013)
- Author, Understanding Federal School Bus Driver Regulations, INQUIRY AND ANALYSIS (Oct. 2012)
- Presenter, Successfully Handling Disciplinary Actions for Special Needs Students and Ensuring Successful Due Process Procedures, NBI North Carolina Special Education Law (June 2012)
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Member, Class of 2011 Mecklenburg County Bar Leadership Institute
- United Way of Central Carolinas Youth and Children Investment Council
Honors and Awards
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America (BL Rankings), Commercial Litigation, 2021
- Selected to the North Carolina Rising Stars list by Super Lawyers (Thomson Reuters) in Business Litigation, Schools & Education, Construction Litigation, 2010, 2012 – 2020
- Recognized in Business North Carolina magazine’s Legal Elite, 2019
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Counsel for a public hospital system in federal and state antitrust litigation.
- Represented educational institution in simultaneous state regulatory investigation, civil putative class actions, and business dispute.
- Counsel for large utility in federal criminal investigation, specifically responsible for discovery coordination and evidence production from multiple facilities spanning decades in time.
- Successfully obtained transfer of consumer product claims to multidistrict litigation.
- Negotiated business resolution for construction dispute for Canadian contractor.
- Key member of litigation team representing public entity in multi-million dollar architect and contractor disputes
- Successfully represented public entity in multi-million dollar software contracting dispute.
- Obtained finding of “no noncompliance” for private college in Office for Civil Rights investigation.
- Acquired directed verdict for public school client in special education contested case seeking private placement.
- Obtained complete summary judgment for banking client in negligence claim arising from consumer banking dispute.
- Obtained positive outcome for banking client in swap-related arbitration.