Nicholas works with companies of all sizes by assisting them with intellectual property management, private equity and venture capital financing, mergers and acquisitions, and general corporate governance. Having recently worked as assistant in-house trademarks counsel for one of the world’s largest sports companies, he’s adept at developing brand management and protection strategies for clients by advising product and marketing teams, addressing product design concerns, clearing trademarks, and reviewing marketing creative for compliance. He has also developed intellectual property licenses and corporate transactional documents on both buy- and sell-side, and has advised on social media related issues, including FTC compliance with A-list celebrities, athletes, and influencers.
In addition to his work as an attorney, Nicholas is active in a range of community and professional organizations, including the University of Baltimore Law Alumni Association, the Maryland State Bar Association’s IP Section, the Mid Atlantic Arts Foundation's Board of Directors, Baltimore Clayworks’ Board of Directors, and Maryland Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts.
Professional & Civic Engagement
- Board Member, Mid Atlantic Arts Foundation
- Board Member, Baltimore Clayworks
- Black & White Party Committee Member, Pratt Contemporaries
- Pro Bono Volunteer, Maryland Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts
- Womble Bond Dickinson IP Content Committee Member
- Member, International Trademark Association
- President, University of Baltimore School of Law Alumni Association
- Chair-Elect, Intellectual Property Section of the Maryland State Bar Association
- Ray v. State, 44 U. Balt. L.F. 220 (2014) Recent Developments article on Ray v. State, published in the Spring 2014 edition of The University of Baltimore Law Forum Journal
- TransCare Md., Inc. v. Murray, 44 U. Balt. L.F. 100 (2013) Recent Developments article on TransCare Md., Inc. v. Murray, published in the Fall 2013 edition of The University of Baltimore Law Forum Journal
Honors & Awards
- Recognized in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America (BL Rankings), Corporate Law, Intellectual Property Law, and Mergers & Acquisitions Law (2021 - Present); Venture Capital Law (2022 - Present)
- Selected to the Maryland Rising Stars list by Super Lawyers (Thomson Reuters) in Intellectual Property, Business/Corporate, Mergers & Acquisitions, 2021